Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the midst of doing body work and paint on my 69. I have the subframe, motor and tranny all pulled out as one unit. I think I will go ahead and have the sub and A-arms powder coated. My question is do I remove everything the same way as if the sub was attached to the car? Just put the sub up high on jack stands. I removed and replaced all front suspension parts a couple of yrs ago when it ws all together. Didn't know if I would have to do something different since the sub is now off the car.

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
You don't have any substantial weight to counteract the springs when you take it apart. Use a spring compressor or some other method to keep things from flying around. Any work you did before is wasted on the arms because the bushings will have come out for powder coating. The heat would likely fry the rubber.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't have any substantial weight to counteract the springs when you take it apart. Use a spring compressor or some other method to keep things from flying around. Any work you did before is wasted on the arms because the bushings will have come out for powder coating. The heat would likely fry the rubber.
I realize that I will need new bushings. If I put the sub on jack stands won't I be able to use a floor jack under the A-arms to pop the ball joints and get the springs out?

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
No you will still need to control the compression of the the springs.......Do a search for different ways to do it. You can use a spring compressor which you can get for no or little charge from your local auto parts place. I have used 5/8" all thread some flat washers and some 3/4" nuts. Others have used a chain and a jack.....etc

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts