Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my sbc out of my 68. Im going to be installing the 505 in there soon. How you guys approach this? Im not going to uses a carb plate, just installing the short and trans together. any tricks or tips?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Re: Swapp ffrom sbc to bbc

I just went through same swap... Swap went easy.. Engine went right in.. Needed to buy some spacer plates to shim motor mounts to keep headers from rubbing steering box...

Make sure you have all the correct motor stands and mounts to start...

I didn't do it myself hired a shop... Only because Im laid up at the moment.. But i was there to lend a hand... Took the shop almost a week.... But I know I could have done it in a day or two...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you run solid engine mounts. I just got my stands (for bbc) and the right x-member for my 400 turbo. also got a manual steer box. I have super comp headers (2 1/8 x 3.5) and heard they are a big pain!!

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
Use the frame stands and motor mounts for a 69; it's a better design.

Motor mounts are anchor 2283; they are interlocking and heavy-duty. You can use solid mounts but you will feel the vibrations. I would only use solid mounts in a drag car.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I followed nashvilles advice and went with he 69 stands and motor mounts.. I used the 2457 headers (2") and they didn't fit to well had to use motor mount shims for the drivers side about (5/16th) In order for the headers to clear the steering box...I also went with a power glide and all I did was elongate the holes in my crossmember...

I have not heard good things about the super comps...i also would not recommend any after market brackets as none that I brought for my swap fit correctly...

All in all it went in pretty easy...some things I wasn't prepared for slowed things( bad aftermarket brackets, poor fitting headers)...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mine will be street and strip. but Im in-town driving and dont mind the vibration. I bought the manual steer box so the super comps will fit. Most won't with power steering unless you ding them. I got my headers used so they are a good fit already.

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
You might want to install a BBC heater core while the engine is out.

You'll need a cover plate for the tube openings in the firewall; about $12.

Do you have the correct radiator shroud ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
car will not have a heater, the cover is already in place and done. Im running a be cool for the bbc, this car will only be cruised on cool nights, no shroud, elect water pump.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Use a shroud anyway and you won't regret it. Using an adjustable engine hoist attachment makes the drop in a piece of cake..do it alone like I did with full engine and tranny setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts