Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, I am very happy with my Camaro. However the one piece I don't like is the dash. Does anyone know if the dash from a 67 or 68 will fit in the 69 without major tear ups?

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
955 Posts
If you intend to switch dashs from a 67 or 68 into a 69, you will need to find a donor car because the dash frame and sheet metal is drastically different.

------------------
69 SS, 350, 4 Speed
75 400, 4 Speed
93 Z28, 6 Speed

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i'll trade you my Nova dash for your 69 Camaro dash...

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see dirty pics here of a car that gets driven http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
novaderrik,
Thanks for the offer, but that not exactly the look I'm going for. I really like the setup of the 67&68 dashes. The wood trim and square dashes on the 69 are not my favorite. However, the replacement dash panels available are much too expensive. I just thought it would add an interesting twist to use an earlier dash. I am still learning about the differences between the first gen cars. Does anyone else have a modified 69 dash and some pics?

I would like to add a tach, a vacuum gage, and oil pressure and temp. Someone mounted a water temp and oil pressure on a plate hanging from the dash, but they don't work and aren't in a good position.

Thanks
Ken

------------------
69 RS, 427, 4-spd
69 Corvette Coupe, 427, 4-spd

·
Registered
245 Posts
The Thrasher Camaro has a custom made dash that used the plastic housing but an aluminum insert to hold the guages. It's a work of art and uses modern gauges. I'm going to try something similar with a Nova dash, just because I don't want to cut up a Camaro housing....I think Clill on this board might still own the Thrasher and if he's online hopefully he can post a pic of it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I've seen Thrasher on another site, maybe DSE. It did look good.

I did a search, and it looks like this topic was hot about two years ago. In fact, one guy, 1st & 2nd GENGuy, said he put a 69 in an earlier car.

Some other were talking about swapping dashes from other cars; does anyone know what dashes will fit?

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those gauges look very good in the vent. What type (oil, water, etc) gauges do you have in the vent and in the console? I have been thinking about adding the console with the four gauges. By the way, nice car. That is one of my favorite colors.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe G:
I added Autometer gauges to the center vent on my 69 and also in the console.
Check my sig for pics if you are interested.

joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Thanks for the kind words.
Tha gauges are all Autometer Phantom series, 2 1/8".
The center vent houses mechanical full (270°) sweep gauges: water temp, vacuum, oil pressure.
Console houses electric 90° sweep: fuel, volts, trans temp and oil temp.
Autometer makes the console pod as well.

No shortage of engine info!

joe

------------------
69 Rat-Infested Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/joeg/

[This message has been edited by Joe G (edited 01-17-2003).]

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Have you seen the Year One show car that looks like a Pace Car with modern add-ons?
It has a very nice custom dash. They removed the Instrument cluster and fabricated a flat dash that goes from the vent on the left side, to just beyond the heater controls on the right. I uses the stock dash pad. You'd have to hack up your dash, but it looks really nice. I've seen several pics of it lately, so I bet you can find one at Year One's web site.

I can send or fax a photocopy, if you are interested.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unreal,
I believe this car is featured in a Camaro specific magazine this month. I don't remember the exact title even though I receive the mag. This is the car the owner of Year One had built, right? I will take a look at that again.

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am pretty sure that the Year One Camaro uses the DS&E 1969 dash insert.

cheers

bob spears

------------------
69mscle

·
Registered
636 Posts
YEAH, Year one used the DSE dash insert. Funny cause they sell them in there on line catalog now. Wanna check out some quality custom dashes check out the www.pro-touring.com website. Lot of guys doing some custom dashs there. One guy in particular fit a complete 97 dash into a 69 camaro. Looks really good and measured up pretty close from what I remember. I myself am in the process of customizing the dash without hacking up the internals of it. Something I can kind of bolt onto the inner structure like a complete faceplate without ruining it. So if I want to change it back I can. Have all the ideas on paper, but havent put it to real form yet.Will have all the typical gauges along with a built in GPS system, keypad start and a couple of other goodies. Will keep you posted on the process. Long cold winter up here in New England so got a lot of time till spring.Good luck!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you have an extra $650 laying around try the www.detroitspeed.com set-up. Looks very good and you can arrange the gauges as you like.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BT 12 bolt, PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers, 15X7 Ralleys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts