Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switching out the 86 Chevy 350 with a 76 Chevy 350 4 bolt main. Should my TH 400 just hook up to it ? I noticed the top bolt is different on the bell housing, but thats it?I have the tranny on the pins on the block but the torque converter is already contacting the flex plate and not yet bolted in ? ^Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Be sure to rotate the TQ while you push it to the rear. It has to engage its pump. It will move back. If it doesn't and you tighten the bell housing bolts, the trany will be toast.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fred, I did rotate it and TC did go back further. I tightened up the housing bolts and it pulled in smooth, no resistance. Bolted up flywheel to flexplate / flywheel. No fluid in tranny. Now when I rotate the crank should the tail shaft on the tranny move also ? Cause ITs not

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
No, It won't turn that way. The torque converter is turning a pump that pressurizes fluid. That pressurized fluid turns the gears. Maybe if you can turn the Torque converter fast enough and long enough, it may turn... If you have fluid in it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, put a quart in TC, and I can barely get my hand behind the TC inbetween the bellhousing, so I assume its in there!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I doubt you can turn it 500+ rpm's by hand... let your engine do it.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Yep, put a quart in TC, and I can barely get my hand behind the TC inbetween the bellhousing, so I assume its in there!
with the torque converter unbolted from the flexplate and shoved all the way back into the trans, you shouldn't be able to put much more than a finger between the converter and trans housing.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I switching out the 86 Chevy 350 with a 76 Chevy 350 4 bolt main. Should my TH 400 just hook up to it ? I noticed the top bolt is different on the bell housing, but thats it?I have the tranny on the pins on the block but the torque converter is already contacting the flex plate and not yet bolted in ? ^Thanks
Are you sure you have a Chevy TH400? BOP TH400's have different bolt hole locations on the top 2 bolt holes.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Are you sure you have a Chevy TH400? BOP TH400's have different bolt hole locations on the top 2 bolt holes.
actually, i think only the two farthest out bellhousing bolts are in the same place, but the dowel pins are in the same place. so a BOP trans will line up and bolt to a Chevy engine with only the two outer bolts lining up.
but none of this has anything to do with what is being asked here.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
actually, i think only the two farthest out bellhousing bolts are in the same place, but the dowel pins are in the same place. so a BOP trans will line up and bolt to a Chevy engine with only the two outer bolts lining up.
but none of this has anything to do with what is being asked here.
Bassackwards! A TH400 BOP patern will bolt to the Chevy with four bolts, but the top three bolts miss (two are way too high up, and there is none in the middle).

Larger Dave

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Bassackwards! A TH400 BOP patern will bolt to the Chevy with four bolts, but the top three bolts miss (two are way too high up, and there is none in the middle).

Larger Dave
i only see two bolt holes and 2 dowel pins lined up..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts