Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a bb 454 to replace the original sb 350. Anyone have advice on do's and don't's? I have a 1969 convertable z11, 4spd. New F&R springs last summer. Front rakes higher than rear now. New engine will have aluminum heads and intake. Should only be about 70 lbs heavier. Will put in new engine mounts, radiator, heater core. Do want to use bb cowl induction. What else should I be aware of?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
BB 4 speed crossmember is different than the SB member, too. Get ready for sticker shock on one of those unless you buy a repop one. There are a ton of differences between a BB and a SB in a Camaro or Nova. Do a search on this site, you'll find all kinds of info about the differences.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do. Thanks alot!!! I heard the crossmember is about $500. WOW! Would love to find a "how to manual" for step by step.......but that would take all the fun trial and error out that I'm so used to in all my adventures. Have a great day.

·
Registered
159 Posts
you dont mention the year, but if a 67, the wiper motor may be an issue. Also watch for clearance with your oil pan on the centerlink

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Tim, crossmembers are about 1/2 the price, of what you say. Just make sure it has a 1/2" offset to the passenger side and 3/4" forward.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great. I'll get it. I hear I need a bracket for the shifter so it aligns with the floor opening too. Do you know of this and how much?

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Sorry, I never have heard of that, but it is possible. The only other thing I know of is the z-bar (bellcrank) needs to be for a big block.

I don't know why Ricks shows 2 bellcranks.

http://www.rickscamaros.com/

·
Registered
51 Posts
You also have to change the heater core box, at least under the hood, and get all different brackets for the engine accessories. I am doing the same thing myself except I am running an auto trans. I bought some Hedman headers, like new and they fit really nice, close to the steering box but not touching but passenger side has all sorts of room.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm doing nearly the same swap, an L36 427/390 into a 69 z11! :hurray: I'll be watching this thread for pics! FYI there's a kit on ebay, not recommending or anything, but it's interesting to see what's included:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230350950270&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

FWIW, I started a list on a spreadsheet, here's what I think I will need, I'm shooting for a stock 396 look so this list is based on that.

Alt mounting bracket set
Battery cables
Choke set
Dipstick and tube
engine wiring harness
Ex Man bolts
exhaust manifolds
Exhaust system
fan belts
frame mounts
Fuel filter bracket
fuel lines
Fuel pump
Fuel pump rod
heater box conversion
Motor mount bolts
Motor mounts
Oil pressure sender
PS bracket
Pulley, Crank
Pulley, Fan
Pulley, pump
Radiator 3 core auto
Radiator hose bottom
Radiator hose top
Radiator Shroud
Shroud bolts
Shroud bracket
Shroud clips
Spark plug wire stand and seperators
Spark plug wires
Starter brace
Temp sender unit
Throttle rod BB
Vaccum advance kit BB
Water pump

·
Registered
241 Posts
Good list. You might look into a 4 core rad or an aluminum rad for increased cooling. You can get aluminun one that look stock. Deep groove pulleys may also help. My Holley has built in filters so you might not need the bracket and filter, but you will need new fuel lines.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:thumbsup:Glad to see someone crazy like me. I'll have to figure out the pic thing for this thread, but I'll get it done. Have you figured an approximate cost of all the parts and where you're getting them from? The Ebay link was great to see. Are you doing the labor youself? I want to make mine look like factory 396 w/cowl induction. Probably use the 375hp stickers for the air cleaner. Use 396 for fender emblem. The 454 should end up having around 550 hp. Might put on headers instead of manifolds. Thanks for the contact.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Tim. I have the same car as you now and have the same thing on my mind as well. I had a 68 BB Vert and loved it so the SB in the 69 isn't doing it for me. I want to stick with the std SS hood with open element air cleaner and I think I am going to drop in a TKO500 while I am at it. It would be interesting to see what kind of budget you come up with. It looks like you have a fairly complete list of things that need to be changed to do it proper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My engine builder says I should get a stronger trans due to the 550hp/550tq. By the # on the current trans tag, I should have a muncie m-22. Ups the budget. Go figure. I'll take that spreadsheet. I need to start getting these parts, the engine will be done in 4 wks.:yes:

·
Registered
953 Posts
My engine builder says I should get a stronger trans due to the 550hp/550tq. By the # on the current trans tag, I should have a muncie m-22. Ups the budget. Go figure. I'll take that spreadsheet. I need to start getting these parts, the engine will be done in 4 wks.:yes:
The trans will probably be fine for a street driven car since your going to have serious traction issues..LOL. If you put some sticky tires on the rear or plan on running the car at the track with slicks your trans won't be around long. You can always upgrade the trans down the road to keep the budget lower now.
You should definatly be putting in subframe connectors in your car with that big block, especially in a vert.
The big block swap is not hard to do once you have the all of the parts. It's litterly a "bolt in" swap. I went from a 210hp 327, 4 speed to a blown big block in my ProStreet Z11 clone (see sig picture). I also swapped a T56 6speed with the engine and it was really not too big a deal or dificult to do. Correct quality parts are the key to an easy swap.

PS: You'll love the big block.......

1 - 20 of 34 Posts