Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked in the Summit catalog and the Hotchkis swaybar set is over $500 but the other two, Addco and Suspension Technologies are significantly less expensive. any suggestions/comments on any of the above? is the Hotchkis worth nearly double the price, will I regret it if I dont put that one on?

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Can you post the specifications of each type of bar? I'm sure that they are not all the same.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The Hotchkiss bars are hollow. They are very light, but they don't work any different. I have an Addco, it's a solid steel rod 1 1/8" thick and it weighs a bunch, but as you said, cost a lot less and works just fine. I'm not familiar with the third one.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was under the impression that hollow was not good, solid would transfer the load better. am i mistaken? (I often am!)

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Only if the bars are the same size.
example...
1" solid bar ='s about the same torsional stiffness as 1 1/8" hollow bar.
So if you run a hollow bar the same dia. as your old solid bar the hollow bar wouldn't transfer as much weight.

From www.pozziracing.com #antiroll
67-69 Front Antiroll Bars
I just received an E-Mail from Hotchkis. Their hollow front bar is 1 1/8" in diameter by .120 wall.
Given that information, I've figured the bar rates and resulting wheel rates in lbs, and weight of each bar.
Dia. . #at bar #at wheel calculated weight of bar - lbs
11/16 . 144 . . . 109 . . . 5.6 stock
7/8 . .. 377 . . . 285 . . . 9.2
1 . . . . 643 . . . 487 . . . 12 common aftermarket size
1.125 . 636 . . . 482 . . . 6.2 (hollow)

FYI I run a 1 1/8" solid bar from Hellwig. It's way to heavy for a stock set up or runs down the track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts