Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All

I have narrowed my run on to an issue to the fact that the switched 12-volt does not switch off when the key is placed in the off position. I have replaced the switch. Any other ideas on trouble shooting?

The car has an MSD 6A box, MSD coil and dizzy, Internal VR alternator.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Did you read the MSD instructions regarding a needing diode to keep the alternator from backfeeding into the ignition circuit ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jon - yes....I have spent a week trouble shooting with MSD. The problem is the "switched power" never switches off.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Did you check that the switch is working like it should and all the other wires are connected correctly? Could it be backfeeding through the switch or is 12V connected to the ground? Some things I would check.

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
It could be the way the internal alt is wired, meaning alt excite is wired with ign spade, therfore alt is back feeding through ign connection and switch is just a tie point.

When 10SI alt's came out, ignition switches gained another switched spade, one for ign and a separate spade for the alt - one power input in, two going out. The two circuits are not tied to each other - the ign switch is paralleled on the input side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts