Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 68 std coupe 327 with a turb0-350 and was wondering if i could switch it to a clone SS. what do i need to make it a SS?
thanks

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Easy, slap some SS emblems on it, and your finished! As far as I know, there were no 327 SS's, so you would have to change the motor if you even want to make a good clone!!

·
Registered
999 Posts
don't they also get a front and rear spoiler?
and what about disc brakes?
the multi's should be 5 leafs.
the gas cap should say "ss"
bruce

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am going to put a cowl hood,both spoilers,whell well moldings.i dont want to change the motor and i am puting a locking bowtie gascap so i dont get sugar in the motor

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Spoilers weren't offered as an option in 68

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm planning on making my 67 convertible an SS clone also. It was originally a 327 powerglide.

The drivetrain is a 383 with a Tremec 5 Speed. I've got all the badging including the gas cap. And I'm planning on buying an SS hood with the appropriate "inserts". I'm going to check my white book tonight but I thought, at least for 67, the SS option only included the badging, hood, and the 275 hp 350.

------------------
Mark M.
Red 67 Convertible
Red Deluxe Interior
383/Tremec 5 Speed
4 Wheel Disk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok one more question. how do i know if my 327 is a turbo-fire. when i bought it it didnt have the air cleaner so couldnt tell if it had a sticker that said turbo fire

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think all 327's were called turbo fire, maybe all small blocks.The big blocks were called turbo jet

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's correct ALL small blocks WERE turbo-fires.

As we're adding all the "DON'T FORGETS"... one very important one for me...
Don't forget it IS a clone and NEVER will actually be an SS. Keep that in mind if you ever decide to sell it. Genuine SSes are more valuable and even though YOU wouldn't try it, someone down the road might not know the car's history and get burned believing he's getting the real thing. It's all fun and braggin' at cruise nights, but there are ethical and legal issues when money starts changing hands.

There's an SS on the Black Painted (396 style) butt of my '69 convertible. It was advertised as an SS. I knew enough to know it wasn't, he fessed up and I bought it for a fair price. Whenever someone gets excited about my "SS" I make a point of telling them it's just an insignia. In my restification, while I'm adding factory options like console gauges, and power windows, fold-down rear seat, I'm taking credit for adding them and not passing them off as factory installed. I'll also be painting the whole car (including the rear panel) its' original garnet red and adding the plain old blue bow tie it came from the factory with. Just my 4 cents worth.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats all i want is for cruzing.i think having a SS on it makes people look at you more. does all SS's have the motor id on the fenders?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I said I was going to check my "white book" last night and forgot. Remembered tonight and here is what it says.

In 1968 the SS package was ordered by selecting one of 5 options which selected the engine. These were:

L34 - 396 350 HP
L35 - 396 325 HP
L48 - 350 295 HP
L78 - 396 375 HP
L89 - 396 375 HP Aluminum Heads

It then goes on to say that all these options included:

"special hood and trim, sport striping, hood insulation, red stripe tires, special suspension, bright engine accents, SS emblems on fenders, grille and gas filler cap"

It was also interesting to note that on the hood inserts, the SS 350 cars had the same "ribbed" inserts as used in 67 but the SS 396 cars got the "carb stack" inserts.

------------------
Mark M.
Red 67 Convertible
Red Deluxe Interior
383/Tremec 5 Speed
4 Wheel Disk

·
Registered
86 Posts
What does it say about rear leaf springs for '67? Early in this thread it was stated it was multi and then questioned it might be singles. Anyone know??

·
Registered
598 Posts
SS hood springs have 2 extra coils when compared to regular hood springs, if I'm not mistaken. Functionally, regular hood springs should work just fine with an SS hood.

·
Registered
252 Posts
68SS396 is correct. All 67s had the monoleaf springs.

For the SS package for 67 the "White Book" just says...

...."included special hood and trim, front panel paint stripes, hood insulation, nylon red stripe tires, 14x6 wheels, suspension features, SS emblems on fenders, radiator grille and gas filler cap."

The big question I have is what do they mean by "suspension features"? No mention of 12 bolt rear ends anywhere.

Mark M.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts