Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the sylvania cool blue headlights in their other vehicle? My woman has a 95 Neon, and the original headlights SUCK! I'm looking for something a lot brighter.

Thanks!

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have them on my 57, and I like them.

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 80 Dodge Lil' red Express clone truck to be built then one s_10 for sale, Angie's mechanic and designated Vette cusser.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
IMHO, I think the reflection from any light bulb is proportionally dependant to the head lamp assembly it is used on. An H-4 (55-60watts) element will make a great lightning pattern if it is installed, let say, in a PIAA assembly and thats the reason different people get different results from the same bulb/element. Some cars come from the factory with poorly design head lamp assy's cause their priority in the design procedure was looks, not efficiency. Take a look at a lot of newer cars or SUVs, they need some assistance on the bumpers or spoilers to get the job done right.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I installed some in my 92 Caprice wagon about two years ago and they made a big difference-I kept checking to see if my brights were on for the first week. One just burned out yesterday and I'm going back for more.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like people either love it or hate it. I guess I'll have to go for my gut feeling, and give it a try. Hopefully it will help out the poor lighting for this NEON. I'll let everyone know how they work out.

Thanks everybody

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
there was a pair of them in my 94 caprice when i got it last summmer. i thought my headlights were really dirty or something until i noticed they were blue. i went to Wal-Mart and got the regular bulbs for it, and it was a hell of a lot brighter. i still have them stupid blue bulbs in the glove box, for whatever reason. and i really hate it when i encounter spomeone else with them- they are too damn bright, and the blue color coming at me is really annoying. in case you haven't noticed, i really hate them things...

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Make sure you check the wattage. The bulbs you get from Wally World are the same wattage as the regular bulbs and probably won't make any difference. Check out J.C. Whitney, they have higher watt bulbs for a decent price.

Our Dodge Caravan had worthless headlights also (must be a Dodge thing). The higher watt bulbs made a big improvement. Get the white kind. Forget those blue things.

They say the high watt bulbs will melt the plastic socket, but that hasn't been the case with anyone I know that has used them. They also sell relays to use with them if you want to go that route.

Mark

[This message has been edited by mbrekke (edited 12-28-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Mark, you're right when you mention the relay option with the wattage increasement. The relay improvement, together with the correct wiring gauge and fuse, will make it a safe upgrade.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Take it from a guy who sells 100's of them a week get the hyper-whites they are extreamly bright, the cool blue just give a slightly blue tint and are just a shade brighter than stock. If you don't mind paying the big bucks you can get a H.I.D style light that doesn't ues a filiment theyuse a high intensity arc to create the light necessary. They run around $800 but are supposed to last for ever. You can find all these products and more at Auto Zone.

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci, 71 gm heads 74cc 1.72in 1.50ex,mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 12 bolt 4.56 posi..

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I got them before the last couple of posts, and I was pretty happy with it. They are probably about 20% brighter, but I still had to aim them up a little bit. For an extra 10 bucks (as opposed to regular ones) it seems to be worth it.

BTW-- They aren't very blue, but that's what I was hoping for.

[This message has been edited by Spames (edited 01-02-2002).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts