Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am out driving the 69 yesterday when the tach suddenly won't climb above 3500rpm. It just gets up to 3500 and stops dead even though the motor continues to wind up. I removed the lens and the needle moves freely thruout it range with my finger. The tach reads fine below 3500 rpm.

Interestingly, it is a 7000 rpm tach which is 2x3500.
Any ideas?

alan

·
Registered
472 Posts
So I am out driving the 69 yesterday when the tach suddenly won't climb above 3500rpm. It just gets up to 3500 and stops dead even though the motor continues to wind up. I removed the lens and the needle moves freely thruout it range with my finger. The tach reads fine below 3500 rpm.

Interestingly, it is a 7000 rpm tach which is 2x3500.
Any ideas?

alan
Factory/OER Tach? HEI?

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turned out the dayglo orange needle was hitting the face plate mounting screw. Quick minor adjustment and the world is safe again.

alan

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
That's interesting...thanks Alan. Good to know it wasn't a flyback voltage induced reverse bias breakdown of the zener diode in the pi filter :D

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL Dave. But what I discovered is that that needle is stamped out of really really thin aluminum. I put a kink in it which took 15 minutes to remove. The best thing to do is to remove (carefully) the face plate and then carefully bend the spring that the orange indicator attaches to. This is really fine watchmaker level stuff. Put the 5 lb "persuader" back in the drawer. Fine tweezers rule the day on this one.

To remove the faceplate, I used those really fine hobby screwdrivers. Keep pressure down on the screw because you don't want the screw driver to slip and booger up the screw. This is one that is best done at the kitchen table, if one of those screws gets loose in the garage, it will fall off into the 4th dimension, never to be seen again.

alan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts