Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner of my Camaro put an HEI distributor in my SS 350. As a result the tach does not work. Is there a device that will allow the tach to work using this distributor?

·
Registered
951 Posts
there should be a plug for your tach coming out of the distributor. If not, there should be a "+" and a "-" on the distributor. Typically there is 4 wires coming a tach (auto meter for example) take one to ignition hot, one to 12v(if you have a backlight), one to ground on battery, and one to the "-" of the distributor... that will get your tach working..

·
Super Moderator
32,434 Posts
Plug the tach trigger lead to TACH terminal of the HEI dist, next to BAT terminal.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Do do some searches on this. There was a sticky on how to make a filter for this. Before I added a tach in my non tach 69. I had read that adding a HEI to an original factory tach would fry them. But the new tachs were not a problem anymore. I have a MSD HEI and repop tach, no filter and no problem. Maybe you can find the post or sticky that told how to make the filter and see if that helps. But your tach may be toast also if everything is hooked up correctly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts