Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been hanging around for a bit, enjoying my Camaro. Spoke to a previous owner yesterday, and he owned the car from 1980 - 2005. My question is, could the BBC in the car be the original motor??? It is a 3963512 Block with CE96220, where the vin should be. The heads are (were, as they are now aluminum Performer heads) 3919840. The intake is a Torker II with a 870 Holley on it. Trim Tag reads :

ST 69 -12437 NOR303xxx BDY
TR 727 76 B PNT
03E X11D80

The previous owner said he has never changed the motor or Trans, but had it rebuilt several years ago. I installed the heads and am going to change the intake to an RPM air gap intake. We have rebuilt the front suspension, as there were no bushings left.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
612 Posts
Need complete tag info and Vin to tell (post a tag pic if you can)

Decode for body number: 303989

03E = Built the Fifth week of March.
69-12437 = Coupe.
NOR = Built in Norwood Ohio.
727 = Standard Ivory/Black Bucket Seats.
76-B = Lower Color is Daytona Yellow and the Vinyl Top Color is Black.
X11 = non-SS396, non-Z28, with style trim
D80 = Spoiler equipment

<edit>

3963512 69 427 C.I. 2 or 4 bolt mains or 70-76 454 C.I. 2 or 4 bolt mains

3919840 69 396/427 Rect.port Closed chamber 101cc

CE96220 should be C=Chevrolet, E=Engine 9=Year 1969 , 6220 seems to be missing a number

It still would be best to post a pict of the trim tag and post the Vin to compare it to for a date match, You could have something very nice here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot the NOR on the Tag.... But, that is the complete tag. Also, the seats are now black and in very good condition. The car was also purchased with SS 396 emblems on it, Z28 stripesand is Daytona Yellow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
NOR 303989 Body number
124379N627154

Engine block CE96220 maybe a 3 or 8 at the end, there is dent on the last digit

Also, what corelation does the body tag have to the VIN. How do you know if the body tag actually goes with a particular VIN??
From looking at the code on the block, what is keeping someone from putting different numbers on it. The heads and a few other parts, the numbers seem to be cast in them, but the block looks kinda "garage done"

·
Registered
612 Posts
Can tell if the Time frame of the Build date matches the time frame of the Vin (lotsa Swapped and Faked Trimtags out there and ppl trying to make Camaros into something they never were).

There was a post (i cant find it now) showing the time frame as to what Vin's rolled out in what months. Im sure others are gonna chime in with some stuff to look for such as Rear end codes and what not.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
The BBC is not original. That's known. But as far as a fake tag, I would not go that far. I would bet the tag could be real. I have an 02A car. Based on this car's 03E's production date it falls in line. I also had a 10D Car. That VIN was 530621. If you look at Camaro's.org it should have been an 11A car. Camaros.org is one of the best if not the best source out there. But the VIN's especially at the end of the month are not 100% accurate each and every time. From what Kurt S or someone else has said---two or three hundred digits off on the VIN on the last build week of the month could have easily been possible. Sometimes the car could have been started to be built that week and production rolled into the next month. At that time the VIN was assigned which could have been a few days or the following week. That few days or following week meant rolled over until the next month. Look again. http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#HowMany I had a 124379N530621 car with a 10D tag. It's about 300 digits off, same as this car. I won't say it's a fake tag based on what is written in this post and without a pic. No way the 396 is original though, not with an X11 tag. I would bet it's a real tag based on the VIN, even without seeing a pic.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
What difference does that make? The Body number is in the correct range for an 03E car, as is the VIN listed. Someone used the cars original body number had a new tag made and added the D80 suffix to it, put a big block CE engine in it so that someone would think it might be a COPO. One would assume there was some kind of a price premium on the car the last time it sold becasue of the tag.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Just now read this thread. It jumped out to at me, but guess I'm a little late :clonk:

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Sorry guys. I'm not an expert on the D80 option. I thought that D80 came out in March of 1969. I apologize if I was wrong. At least I got the non-original 396 part right. That's the key part. I'm good, but not THAT good....That's why I'm here and always ask for help from the experts. I joined this site before I bought my current Camaro and all you guys were a big help.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I like Southside dont know when the D80 was added to the tag , but with the info that was provided and what numbers he had decoded to it was looking like it could have been a Great find (without tag pic and i did ask for one to be posted)

Its why I love you guys that can pick a tag out that isnt right with something like the D80 code and the month the car was built its great that you guys are here and are able to protect us :)

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
then it sounds like you made out. A big block Camaro for less than 20K doesn't come around every day even if it was originally a small block of some kind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts