Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...To take a qoute from another thread (so as NOT to propogate it...)

"...what has happened with this site? I was away for a while, but it used to be that threads would get locked or deleted when people would go off and be all ***'ey. Reading the [other] thread, I can't believe that posts like that were allowed. To all who posted in that thread acting like children exchanging insults, that was pathetic. I am pretty disappointed that stuff like that is happening on this board. I use this site to share information and find information.....not to read people's arguments and insults. It used to be that people would lose their posting privilages when they acted [childish...]"

I agree 100% with what was (well) stated above. I do my best to just stay out of those threads, ...they're a waste of time. It does not matter who you are, what your education level, how much money you make (or don't make), ...nor where you are from.
What DOES matter is being respectful to others. It's one thing for someone to start with childish comments/remarks, ...but to stoop down to that level in response? ...that's even worse. Life it too busy (and way too short) to get caught up in this.

I hesitate to even bother posting these comments, however this is the kind of stuff that taints the real value this board provides.
Let's move on...
...cheers :beers:

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
While I am not in favor of mass banning (which then can take on a commie feel), I agree that there has been a "shift" in the last few years of some who only want to stir the pot.

I am sure that the Mod's don't need the flak they take, and I appreciate their hard work to keep this board the resource that it is.

There have been several examples of threads where people have disagreed, and yet the conversation stayed civil. Too often it degenerates into name calling and disrespect. In the name of defending myself, I have even participated in this.

It would be nice if we could all agree, but in reality that is not going to happen. The next best thing is to respect the different opinions, and voice my/your/our differing opinion/point without "slamming" the other guy.

Kevin, good point, and I will try and control the one thing that I can, myself!

Rich

·
Registered
80 Posts
Kevin, I agree with what you say, but in this instance we have a guy who originally posts on this forum for help, and of course the members here do help him with all he asks about. Now, we find that this guy came here and took advantage of these member's outpouring of generosity only to use the information to cheat, lie and defraud others like us( mabey even some of us) for his own personal gain. Naturally, this is going to provoke a negative response. We have all sat here and watched people like these slowly turn this hobby that we love so much into a joke. It hurts us.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Billy
We have a huge variety of people in this hobbie and you have to take the good with the bad. This site has grown to be pretty big as far as the following. I dont see a problem with someone on this site pointing out to a person thats trying to do wrong. I think if you asked most Camaro car guys on this site how they feel, they will tell you that most feel like buddies. When someone from the outside comes in and trys to make a buck from our allready expensive hobbie, they are going to here a lot of flak. I also dont like the bash sessions but, it comes with the teritory. I believe that most people on this site are great and I have learned so much from others mistakes as well as posting. I hate to say it but, I dont think that you'll ever get rid of it. Just try to look at the positives. Just my 2 or 1 cent.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Kevin, I agree with what you say, but in this instance we have a guy who originally posts on this forum for help, and of course the members here do help him with all he asks about. Now, we find that this guy came here and took advantage of these member's outpouring of generosity only to use the information to cheat, lie and defraud others like us( mabey even some of us) for his own personal gain. Naturally, this is going to provoke a negative response. We have all sat here and watched people like these slowly turn this hobby that we love so much into a joke. It hurts us.
Negative responses are fine, but insulting/childish responses are not what this site is all about (IMHO). There are ways to tell someone that you don't agree with them or that you think that what they are doing is wrong and still be respectful.

Just my opionion....take it with a grain of salt.

P.S. And just because someone calls you a "Poo-poo head" doesn't mean that you have to return the favor.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
i agree!!!

we are all brothers and sisters in this hobby.... and its a small hobby world too.......

it all comes full circle so be nice to your fellow brother or sister......

please.......

now, why dont you guys just quite your whinning!!!!! JUST KIDDING!!! :)

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I'm guilty too, but I can't stand these idiots who think they can come here, get information, and then use it against us for their own personal gains! It makes me sick! It's this type of fraud that is killing this hobby, and making it too expensive for the average Joe to even participate in, that's the real shame. This "hobby" has turned into a rich mans shell game, and the only way it's going to end is for a group of people to draw a line in the sand, and expose all the cheaters, liars and criminals that are cloning these cars!!! Hey, we might even make a mistake along the way, but that's the price of playing the game. This idiot Brad guy with the X-66 tag on eBay is a prime example. Anybody really believe this guy is NOT going to sell that tag to somebody else, if he hasn't already? It WILL end up on another car, and somebody WILL be cheated. Maybe the smart buyers will start coming here more often for information BEFORE they buy, we can only hope so. If that thread causes one person to come here and look, and stops them from buying that newly built X-66 clone, then we've been successful, to a point. I also agree the childish name calling and threats should stop, but I get so mad at these guys, especially like this last one, who knows he's busted, and then turns around the story to make himself look like the Hero! The audacity of this fool just kills me!!!!! Any way you look at it, we can't protect everyone, but we can protect some of them from being duped. I don't see any reason to stop trying either.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Does anyone really believe that this X66 Cowl tag WON"T ever show up on a put together clone being passed off as "all Original", "numbers matching" car somewhere down the road? If you do, you better buy your Easter basket because the bunny is coming to see you. Somewhere in the future, some poor soul is going to shell out big money for a big block Camaro that he thinks is all Original. Only to find out he has been scammed. This poor soul will be the victum of fraud. As for Brad, he is helping to perpetuate the evential fraud.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
I believe the general consensus here is that childish banter is frowned upon and that exploiting information available on this site to perpetrate fraudulent representation of a vehicle for personal gain is deplorable. If that condition / situation is realized based on information contained in posts within a topic thread, then it should be dealt with accordingly. By that I mean, if someone needs to post an appropriate response to the situation described above, then he/she should be able to do so (assuming no vulgarity) without having to worry that the response would offend the other party. Quite frankly, with the knowledge and experience of many of the Team Camaro members, I offer that it should be the responsibility of that group to address the situation appropriately to maintain some semblance of keeping what's left of the integrity of our hobby.

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
........I agree that there has been a "shift" in the last few years of some who only want to stir the pot.

I am sure that the Mod's don't need the flak they take, and I appreciate their hard work to keep this board the resource that it is........
You are exactly correct. As this site has matured, more of the non-technical nonsense has crept in. The discussion of TT's has really only started to get hot and heavy the last couple of years. I think the service done here is important to the hobby. If a person owns the tag being discussed and that person reacts, it only gets nasty if someone responds to that person.

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
I think that alot of the problem is some new members forget to read the rules of this site. They come here from other sites where everything is allowed to go on. The mods do a great job here, but lately there hasnt been as tight enforcement as before. Name calling and you get a warning, if you continue to badger people into arguing, your're outta here. When people see it's not tolerated, they wont do it.

I have been coming here for almost 9 years because it it the best site for first generation Camaros and the mods dont take any crap and keep things civil. Things are definately changing around here for the worse.
Hopefully I can stand to stay here.

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
........ Things are definately changing around here for the worse.
Hopefully I can stand to stay here.
What else ya gonna do in the winter?;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Alright I must admit I acted very childish in the other two threads concerning Brian's trim tag. But as far as I am concerned respect is earned, not given out. Why should I respect a person who basically spit in every camaro owners face by posting that trim tag on ebay?

Imagine if you were at your local car club meeting and some guy got up and started attempting to sell his camaro's trim tag (the very tag you gave him information for last week). Would you all politely and nicely tell him to please sit down? Would you continue to let him be a member of your club?

It was wrong to resort to childish name calling. But why was this Brian character not banned from this message board immediately after the moderators realized what he was up to?

·
Retired
16,027 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Trim tags are an extreme hot button for us Camaro hobbist, it's hard not to rip into someone like Brad. We all know that tag is on it's way to another '69.

That being said, the regulars here have to set the standard for the discussion that happens in these threads. It's hard not to get totally irratated sometimes but we need to set a high standard or the quality of this great place of Camaro discussion will erode.

There will be other "Brads". Maybe we can take a different approach next time.

Doug

PS Jonsey-smile!! We (I) have always appreciated your presence on this site.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
No matter what the topic is, the name calling stuff just looks ridiculous. We recently ran into a similar problem on a local board. Cursing and name calling is not needed and really looks immature. So re-read your posts to make sure you really want others to see it the way you are presenting it. And if not, go back and edit it. Let's keep it :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Facts: This site HAS grown a lot. Where I used to read EVERY SINGLE POST, I now only find time to read those that interest me, and those in the 2 forums I moderate.

Each forum has one or more specific moderators. If you open a forum, he / they are listed in the bottom right. If there is something going on in a post that doesn't belong here, PM the mod in charge of that forum. No response, PM any of us, we'll get it taken care of.

In 2006, we banned more people than we had in the previous 2 years. Most were kids who were just stirring things up for their own enjoyment.

"Stepping into a post" as necessary as it is sometimes, virtually guarantee's a lot of background (pm and email) traffic. When you guys get "adjusted," try to understand and just get over it.

It does seem that Tag has been where a lot of this type of action has been lately. Cool it.

I've been on this board for 7 years now, and over 12,000 posts. I refuse to have being a mod force me into the background as a "Traffic cop." I have plenty to say and offer and will continue to do so. There are probably 100 or so people here I would call friends, and another 500 who are very good acquaintances. There are certainly days when I wish they were the only people allowed in here. But that's not how it is. Guys come and go. Some stick around, some pop in every year or 2, some cause a big ruckus and then go away on their own. That's just the way it is.

Many of us have been here for so long we tend to see this place as our own private club. It can be hard for new guys to get "accepted" and sometimes it's frustrating to them. We've had quite a few likely very valuable members leave rather than take the time to earn their stripes with us regulars.

Remember why we come here. We're "car guys." Where 6 of us might sit at a bar as strangers and never say a word, you line those same 6 up with their cars at a show, and we'll be best buds in an afternoon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts