Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended up finding the fix to this but thought I would share in case it may help anyone else out in the future.

I backed my car out of the garage on a Saturday night to go for a cruise. I turned on the lights and everything was working. As I hit the brakes backing out I lost my headlights. When I let off the brakes my instrument panel lights went out. Hit the brakes again and they came back on. I ended up having about 3 fuses popped.

Long story short I had heard of the fillament on a 1157 bulb falling off the electrode and shorting to the other fillament and backfeeding the entire system. So I took out the tail light bulbs one by one until my dash lights wouldnt come on hitting the brakes anymore. Sure enough, I had a bulb do this exact thing. Replaced the bulb and fuses and I was good to go. Afterwards I was thinking if someone hadn't heard of this happening this could be a real head scratcher. So thought I would post.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Which I believe, so I was told many years ago , one of the reasons most manufactures.. Asian, European mounted bulbs on their sides rather than vertically with base down.
One of those ' useless information ' things like why is an open ended spanner off set and the name of Paul Raveers big black horse...long fallow describes it but not names it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Question. My 67 Camaro ss (fixed headlights) the parklights come on fine but when I pull all the way for headlights the parklights shut off and only headlights go on. Thought it could be a bad dimmer switch but sadly same thing. Any help? :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Okay cool! So I splice it then connect to the taillight wire so it'll work with my headlights? But I thought the parklights are supposed to go on with the headlights regardless?

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
In 1967, the park lights are only on when the HL switch is pulled to the first detent. When the HL switch is pulled to the second detent, the headligths come on and the park lights go off.

I believe in 1968 when side markers became mandatory the park lights stayed on with the headlights.

One work around is to disconnect the park light wire from the HL swich and splice it to the wire going to the tail lights - that way the park lights will be on on both detents of the headlight switch.

I've heard also that you can use a 1968 HL switch but it's not a plug and play - you have to remove a terminal from the harness plug and connect it to a different spade on the new switch - or something like that.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Great info on the 1157 bulb. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts