Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having an issue with my tail lights, I had lost my turn and brake lights last weekend, I had replaced the rear harness this winter. After I lost my turn and brake light's last week I tried to chase down the issue. I checked the fuses, OK. I checked the wires going to the rear, Ok all the lights worked when powered up with my power probe. I plugged the rear harness back in and replaced the flasher. All worked in the garage, Turn's, Brakes, and running lights. Thought I was done, did not road test. Went to a show this week end and lost it all 1/2 way there. Got it home and started testing again. I am not any good with wires. , No running, no brake lights, Turns would light but not flash. Unplugged and checked the rear harness again, OK. Checked in at brake switch no power, I remembered a friend helped me with a similar problem years ago. He went right too the 1/2 round plug under the dash and did something and sprayed some W D 40 in it. It fixed the problem for a long time. I pulled the dash apart and looked around. I noticed the brown wire coming out of the feed side of the plug was sticking up half out of the plug. I took it apart and cleaned all the prongs with a scuff pad and electrical contact cleaner. spread all the taps a little and put back together. Brown wire still seems a little loose and worked it s way back up on installation. How do I keep the wires locked in the plug. Any tips? should I use any kind of grease? I put this out to all the professionals. Sorry for the long post, just wanted you to have some history. Thanks Mike

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Do you still have parking lights up front ?

I wonder if you lost some light grounds either front and/or in the rear.

If you can, post a picture of the 1/2 round connector your buddy worked on as well as this connector that is not staying in it's housing. Most connectors have a barb or two that when the connector is put into the housing, this barb catches inside the connector housing so it doesn't come back out. Sometimes the tab is there but might have been bent and you may be able to straighten it. These barbs are kinda small so you may have to really look at the connector to see where it's at or where it should have been if it's been broken off.

Jim

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The paring lights up front were working. I have it all working at the moment. I did find one barb on the connector on the brown wire and bent it out carefully. I put it back in and put some sticky rubberized stuff on the top and I hope it will stay in now. My next question is with that brown wire not making good contact be enough to blow the flasher and the fuse for the stop lights? Thanks for the reply Mike

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it all put together, just rechecked everything.

Running light work.
Left turn works
Right turn works
Brake lights work.

Only problem now is when running blights are not on and the right turn signal is on and you hit the brakes the left brake light does not light?

Any ideas Mike

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a fix for the bad connections in that plug other than replacing the harness?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still have an issue with the tail lights. All lights in the rear work, I have tail lights, I have right turn and left turn, I have brake lights, I have brake lights with the running lights on. The only problem is the left brake light wont come on if the right turn signal is on. It work the other way. I f I have the left turn signal on the right brake light works. I have not blown a fuse or a flashers yet this time since I worked on the plug. Any more suggestion's? Thanks MIke

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
You were asked for a picture of these plugs you are talking about. We are not there to see what you are talking about. Is it the brake light switch, emergency brake light switch? Have you checked the 1157 bulbs? One filament could be blown.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bulbs are good, Brake light switch works, I have never seen the emergency brake switch on the car. And I am sorry about the pictures, I do not know how to do that on this site.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Mike, sounds like the same issue I ran into when I put in new rear harness on my 68, Rear lights doing strange things, I would get one to light up, then try brake lights, one one would go off, one would get brighter, flashers would all work, turn single would only work on one side etc.

My issue ended up being a faulty ground and also one of the tabs not being set right from harness company. I compared sockets and found out which tab looked worng and bent it into place, that solved 90% off the issue, the last 10% was one of the sockets not making good contact on taillight benzel.

So, I would check all your sockets and compare them to make sure all looks the same and then check to make sure they are all making good contact ground when popped into benzel.

·
Premium Member
5,315 Posts
Still have an issue with the tail lights. All lights in the rear work, I have tail lights, I have right turn and left turn, I have brake lights, I have brake lights with the running lights on. The only problem is the left brake light wont come on if the right turn signal is on. It work the other way. I f I have the left turn signal on the right brake light works. I have not blown a fuse or a flashers yet this time since I worked on the plug. Any more suggestion's? Thanks MIke
That sounds like a bad turn signal switch. Brake light circuit goes thru the T/S switch so you get one brake light and one flashing. If you have another T/S sw I would plug it in and recheck.

Jeff

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies, I will try that, I did have no problems all summer until a week ago. All lights worked after harness replacement. Many week end trips to shows and a trip to South Dakota.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts