Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I just got my car back from the autobody shop. The car looks great, but I now have a problem with my tail lights that I never had before. Only the left tail light goes on when I turn my lights on. Also, when the lights are on, my left blinker stays constant on in my dash. I also noticed that my left headlight was dim, and fixed the headlight problem by connecting a ground that was completely disconnected. All other light functions work fine (breaks and blinkers). Can anyone help steer me in the right direction?

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
You should be having the same problem in the rear, lack of ground. As you mentioned, your car was recently painted, so maybe the tail lamp's assemblies and sockets aren't getting a good ground. I got tired of dim lights at the tail lamps, so I added a ground wire from the sockets to a good ground. Did it well concealed, not original, but it works for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Orench. Your suggestion is a great idea. But, my situation did not change once I grounded everything in the trunk (e.g. I grounded the tail light sockets and tail light assembly all to the same bolt that is attached to the metal plate above the gas tank filler tube). I have spent all weekend, and the situation is getting the best of me. Can you or anyone keep pointing me to the right direction? Below is a whole bunch more information that I thought would be useful.

Rear Tail light wire Situation;
I then removed the wiring to the rear marker lamps to simplify things, but still have the same problem. I also switched the yellow (blinker power) and brown (tail light power) wires on the left rear tail light, and was able to get the left tail light to work. But, the right tail light does not have a brown and dark green (blinker power) wire as shown in the wire diagram. Instead it has a tan and dark green wire. No matter how I flip flow those wires, still no power to the tail lights. I tried copying the wire diagram by removing the tan wire and replaced it with a new brown wire that I ran across the trunk and connected it to the brown wire attached to the left bulb. I got both tail lights to work, but my gas gauge no longer worked (pins all the way to the right). So, I put the tan wire back were it was so at least my gas gauge works and my left tail lights work. This entire time, the right blinker in the dash stays on once the lights are on.

Front End Marker Situation;
I noticed that my front right park light is also not functioning. The left hand marker works, and has 2 wires, a brown and a black. The black goes into the head light socket assembly when then forks out and is grounded. This is the ground that was originally missing. The brown also forks off and goes all the way to the right side of the car, where it just ended. So, I attached the brown wire to a new socket. I also ran the black wire to the radiator support metal for a ground. This made the right marker work.

Front Park Lamp Assembly;
Originally, both parking lamps were not working. So, I manually ran a ground from the screws that support the left park lamp assembly to a bolt on the radiator support metal for a ground. This made the left park assembly work. But, when I also tried to do the same thing on the right park lamp assembly, I blow the fuse. But, if I disconnect the right marker, I can sometimes get both park lamps to work, but only when I use alligator clips to ground it out. But when I run a permanent wire, the fuse blows? I just can not understand it.

I have tried everything, but just cant get everything to work together all at once without blowing a fuse. Can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
The rear situation should be easy to solve if you're only having problems with the marker and tail lamps.(stop & blinking are another story) They share the same 12 volts feeding wire from the harness, the "brown" wire. Only that wire brings marker, license & tail lamp power to the rear of the car, so you need to check that junction. If you have at least one marker lamp working on the rear of the car, the rest should work. If not, you have an open circuit in the "brown" wire to one or more of the marker or tail lamps sockets. The other part is simply good ground.
> The front is almost the same, only difference being, that not only one "brown" wire goes to the front. Instead they fed two "brown" wires from the back of the fuse box. But it's the same situation, "brown" wire should feed marker & park lamps for each side. Make sure you have a brown wire for each side, make sure it has 12 volts and make sure it goes to the correct terminal on the marker & park lamps. The rest, again, good ground. You're using the rad support, make sure you have a ground from the neg terminal of the battery to the rad support. Remember it is mounted on rubber bushings that serve as isolators. As a last resourse, you can even duplicate the same approach as the rear and use one "brown" wire to feed all, two park & two marker lamps. If it works on the rear, why shouldn't on the front? JMO
;) ** Buy some wiring harness tape, in case you need to peel some parts of the harness, looking for broken, shorted, or differently colored wire additions

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Orench, this is good info you provided me with. I am going to make time this weekend again and check out all your suggestion. I can tell you that off the top of my head, I think I am missing a ground wire from my negative battery terminal to the rad support, so I am going to start there since it is a quick hit, and work my way to the rest of the suggestiotons you made. I will let you know soon after hopefully how I made out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, problem solved finally. Many things were causing the problem. The main problem however was the ground(s) like you suggested Orench. I grounded out all, but was still shorting out because the driver side park light was hard to ground out (could not establish a good ground on the mounting stud, so I had to use a clamp around the metal housing to attach my ground wire to). Second problem was that the front park lamps and markers were not wired correctly. The strange thing is that the wire diagram shows only 2 brown wires staring from the fuse panel and each forking to one park light and one side marker on each side. However, my car had 3 brown wires. I was able to get everything to work by routing the first brown wire to the Passenger Marker. The second to the passenger park light. And the 3rd light split to the Driver Park Light and the Driver Side Marker. Also, the dark blue went to the passenger park light, and the light blue went to the driver park light. Finally, in the trunk, I made sure that the one brown wire went to each socket (tail lightls and markers). Then I wired the yellow (signal) wire to the Driver tail light, and the green (signal) to the Passenger tail light. Lastly, the tan wire went to a ground (which fixed my gas gauge problem). It was not easy, but finally got it fixed. Now I need to tuck all the wires back neatly. Thanks for your assistance Orench.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, correction to my last posting, the tan wire in the trunk actually goes to the gas tank (sending unit I think), and not a ground like I mentined above. Great web site by the way, keep up the great service!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, correction to my last posting, the tan wire in the trunk actually goes to the gas tank (sending unit I think), and not a ground like I mentined above. Great web site by the way, keep up the great service!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts