Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of you guys 6'7" or taller?
What did you have to do to get into the car?
I have 2 tall sons I need to accomodate.

Steve

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm 6'7" tall too. How do I get into the car? Fold myself up into a ball and pour myself into it. =) Seriously though, I have done two things. First I bought a set of seat relocation plates off of ebay. They are really nothing special, basically they are just two pieces of angle iron with 2 holes each and two bolts each welded two inches back from the holes. You bolt the the seat relocation plates to the original seat bolts on the frame and then bolt the seats to the plates. The other thing I did was put in a tilt column. It doesn't really help make me fit in the car any better, but it does help entry/exit.

-Marc

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
No head room issues?
I intend to install a tilt column.
Perhaps a smaller steering wheel too.
I haven't had a chance to try to fold my oldest into a camaro yet but I know he cannot get into my friends 69 Mustang GT.

Steve

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm not that tall, but at 5'9" my 69 seems to have shrunk as I have gotten older
I plan to put in a tilt wheel also, before the interior gets smaller!

·
Registered
980 Posts
6'2", and I don't think 2" more legroom is going to make me happy. I'm thinking I need more like 6" more legroom. I guess I'll have to make my own brakets. Either that, or I'll take out the front seat, and drive from the back.

Sometimes it's a bit*h being tall.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am 6'4" tall and must also practice twister to get behind the wheel of my car. I have a convertible so during the warmer days, it is easy to get behind the wheel but with the top down - I struggle as well. I put in a slightly smaller steering wheel but would love to put in a tilt. I tend to think that the real problem lies with the heigth of the seat vs the bottom of the steering wheel - pushing the seat back leaves almost no room for passengers but then your knees run into the steering wheel - too bad they didn't design the camaros for us 'real-man-sized' men. The convertible also has a little more headroom and I still have 2-3 inches above my head.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I was also looking for a little more legroom and headroom so I modified the stock brackets to provide more room in both directions. The seat is now 1 1/2" further back and 1/2"+ lower.

I'm sure there's more than one good way to do this. I took this approach because it's straightforward, relatively easy, very strong, it doesn't show, and the stock seat adjustments all still work. The only downside I see is that you cut up the stock brackets. However, I have not had trouble locating used brackets so you could likely start with a spare set and save the originals if you want.

Basically, I cut the stock brackets up and created a new mounting base for them. I used a piece of flat steel strap as the base that allowed me to re-position the seats to the rear. It also gave me a mounting flange to bolt the seats to the floor which I needed after I cut the "feet" off the stock brackets.

First I cut 2 pieces of 1/8" X 2" mild steel flat stock approximately 16-3/4" long per seat. After removing the seat rails from the seat bottom I set them on the steel strap, lining them up at the front end and centering them across the width. Marking the holes on the strap through the feet of the brackets, I then moved the brackets back 1 1/2". I made a mark on the strap where the "legs" of the brackets lined up (not the holes in the feet since they'll be gone soon). I drilled 3/8" holes in the strap where the feet came down originally to serve as the bolt holes to mount to the floor - and also elongated them into slots to allow some adjustment. Then I cut the foot off each end of each bracket taking a total of 1/2" of the leg (including the thickness of the foot) with it. I set the brackets back in place on the steel strap, aligning them with the previous marks and then welded them in place.

Also note that because the seat mounting base (part of the floor) is slanted back slightly, as the seat moves farther back you gain additional headroom. So, you can gain more than the 1/2" that is cut off the bracket. There may also be enough room to cut more off the brackets and/or mount them farther back. This setup worked fine for me.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts