Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone have a pic of the hole location where the tan fuel sending wire gets passed through the body to get down under to the tank sending unit? Its been apart 3+ years and I am starting to put the car back together and cant remember where the hole was. I replaced the trunk pan. I have the rear tailight harness including the tan wire, gromett and the chunk of sheetmetal where I cut it out still attached. I cant find it in any of my pics. I dont think it matters but my car is a 67. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Sent you the pic Gary.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I bought a trunk pan for my 67 from D&R and that hole is bigger than the original grommet and the new grommet for the sending unit that I also bought from D&R. They told me "I was the first one to ever bring this up."

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a trunk pan for my 67 from D&R and that hole is bigger than the original grommet and the new grommet for the sending unit that I also bought from D&R. They told me "I was the first one to ever bring this up."
Didnt try it yet..should be interesting. Got my pan from Goodmark but they are the same stuff just decorated differently. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
yup just found out my repro trunk pan also has a bigger diameter hole than the original. :confused: what did you do to rectify the problem??

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
anyone??

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didnt have that issue. I guess get a bigger grommet from a local shop unless its a concourse restoration that needs to be exact...then I dont know. Maybe weld it up a tad. With all the paint and splatter it shouldnt be an issue.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I did not do anything. It seemed to stay, but if it was any bigger at all it would not have a chance. If it does not stay, I will use some glue, silicone, or Uerathane so that it stays. I will decide that if it does not stay.

You would think that the guys that make these could be smart enough (or care enough) to make the hole the correct size. It just shows you that ANY part you buy, you really have to compare EVERYTHING. I remember the good ol' days.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
maybe the combination of the grommet that came with AAW harness and the new trunk pan?? I'll have to check my old harness to see if maybe that's the reason. Maybe I can re-use my old one if it's bigger.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
771 Posts
This is a pretty old thread but I wanted to resurrect as I am confused about the grommet hole locations. I thought the license plate light went through the hole identified above but it looks like that one is for the fuel sending unit grommet. if that's correct then where does the other one go? Really need some help as the only hole for a grommet I can find is the one between the support and the tail light panel as shown above.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
771 Posts
Well, I found this thread and I think I answered my own questions but unfortunately the hole in the tail light panel the license plate wire passes through doesn't line up well (I guess when the inner and outer panels were welded together they were a bit mismatched). Just to confirm, the tan fuel sending unit wire passes through the hole on the floor and the license plate wire passes through the hole in the tail light panel. Sorry to be so redundant but just want to make sure I have my facts straight.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/19-electrical-wiring/167480-new-trunk-floor-where-do-wires-pass-through.html

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Tim as you stated the fuel sender lead goes down through the floor of the trunk,

and the marker lamp wire through the panel wall.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Tim - I lifted the photos from the other thread referenced above.

It is possible your inner and outer holes are not 100% aligned but all that really matters is that the lead can go through both, and the rubber grommet can stick to the inner hole without interference.

Brian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts