Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've read the archives, some refer to these 3 paper strips as 'tarpaper'. Are we talking about roofers tarpaper available at the local home improvement store? Do I need to buy a huge roll of it just for 3 simple strips? Is there some sort of thickness I should be getting?

·
Registered
538 Posts
My kit came with a tarpaper type material cut into strips about 16" long. It also came with a couple of neoprene type blocks for the straps to ride on. I have had no problems with squeaks. Just by the kit from Ricks or someone similar and save yourself the agony of buying a 20 yard role of tarpaper at HomeDepot.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Inner Tube thats a great idea!!!

GM dealer told me its not in production anymore (the strips) and yes previously they were 'tar paper' type material because my tank still had the material on top of it from 1969. I did a great job grinding my gas tank to bare metal, Eastwood Rust Encapsulator prime it, then I used a Krylon HAMMER Charcoal Grey paint (2 cans) which makes it look really sharp. I'm still grinding the straps down to bare and will prime then paint them Chassis Black, should look really sweet once I put it back in.

·
Retired
16,046 Posts
I got my new gas tank coated with 2 coats of POR clear and the straps one coat of POR15. I got the rubber insulator kit from Ricks and it went together nicely. One block near the sending unit centered, 2 strips on top to either side over the upward bevel and the 2 strips between hanger straps and tank.
Here is a pic. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I used tarpaper, to replicate the original. I just stopped at a house under construction, and asked if they had any scraps. I have the sizes written down somewhere. If you need a piece of neoprene, let me know, and I will send a square off a piece I have.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
When I bought my tank kit from Soffseal and opened the package, I was surprised and a little anoyed that I just spent 10 buck or so on 4 pieces of thin roofing paper and a small piece of polystyrene (I know it's roofing paper, it has the line up markings on it). The factory used two thicker pieces (about 1/8") on the top only with a 3" X 6" (guessing!)piece of the same material glued to the center of the tank. The straps never had insulators between the tank. You could easily fabricate some insulators as mentioned above, out of rubber or some thicker tarpaper (maybe double it over). A friend of mine used a material that looks like corrugated cardboard, but is made of plastic, and it did the job nicely.
Jim

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Speaking of tar paper material. Does anyone know of the material in your trunk that sits above the muffler area? Where to get it or replace it with? I am trying to get some surface rust fixed and mine is in good shape but just wanted to know if we remove it and replace it or leave it? The only way I will remove it is if we can replace it.

Thank you for all your help and as everyone has said this site rocks for information.

The car is a 67 camaro convertible rs, mostly original and trying to keep it that way.:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts