Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am putting a 400 small block in my 1990 gmc truck that had a 350. Unfortunately the 350 is beyond repair and thought I would try this out.

I plan on using the tbi from my 350 on the 400. I have everything figured out in order to do so, however I think running the HEI distributor will be a problem due to running the vacuum advance. Can I simply use the electronic distributor from the 350? I assume the oil pump will have the same gear?

Not Camaro related, but there is good advice on this forum!

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
If you're running the ECU , TBI and wiring from the stock 350 EFI which I believe controls the timing on those years. You will want to run the ECU controlled small cap hei that was on the 350. Timing control is one of the main reasons to go to EFI.
No vac advance necessary.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Timing was also controlled partially from the input provided by the knock sensor which was tuned to each individual engine. I don't think Chevy ever had EFI on a SBC 400 to get the correct part you would need. Each engine's noise that the knock sensor hears is different due to differences in bore and stroke, hence there is one knock sensor for a 250 six, another for the 305 and another for the 350.

Big Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts