Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
TCI has been around for some time. I used one of their Competition T400 in the 90s along with one of their converters. It was one of the better automatics I have used.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
TCI has a very good name/reputation. They have been around a long time. If you don't need overdrive the Turbo 400 is the way to go!! At this point in time the Turbo 400 is King of the automatics in durability, relaibility and performance (if you don't need overdrive).

P.S. Some will debate you on the THM 400 and say if you will race it to go with a built to hell Powerglide. I still liked my THM400 better than my P/G though.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
The P/G vs TH400 would depend upon your car (weight and gearing). If you have the power to weight ratio you don't need the extra gear to keep you in your power band. Heavier (door slammers) need that gear spread for the most part. If you are driving on the street and not leaving it on a trailer the OD will pay for itself in gas savings alone. Plus you can have a stiffer gear and still keep your motor together while you cruise to those shows (I have a 4L80E behind my BBC 582 cid with 4.56:1 rear cogs). With a really heavy car even the OD can be used with a 4L80E that wouldn t be there if you had only a TH400.

In my opinion the TCI is well made, but there are better companies that will give you more value for the money (HD or billet parts that are not available for the same cost from TCI). TCI does honor their warranty which could be of value. I have replaced my torque converter under warranty because the lock up clutch failed once under warranty (and a 250 shot of nitrous).

Larger Dave

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Dave,

I was on Summit's website a few minutes ago. I was looking at aluminum driveshafts, shifters, trans cooler lines and other goodies for my 1969 Camaro. There are a million parts at Summit & Jegs for 1969's with Turbo 400's. There are also choices for the 700R4 & 4L60. But when it came to the 4L80E & 200-4R the choices became very limited for 1969 Camaro's. I would like to replace my Super T-10 4 speed with a 4L80E as opposed to a THM400 w/ gear vendors, 200-4R or 4L60/later built 700R4.

Can I ask what type of driveshaft you are running? what type of shifter? Trans cooler lines etc?

Your posts are always informative and they have helped me out alot. Everyone here is cool!! I appreciate everyone's responses. It's been 12 years since I owned a V8 car. I got back in the game last year but I was shocked to see how much technology has changed and that you don't need to run 12.5:1 with a huge cam on racing gas to make 500 HP in a 396 or 427 BBC anymore.

Basically I screwed up in repalcing the 12 bolt spool w/ 4:10 gears with a 12 bolt posi & the same gear ratio. I should have went 3:73 like my old Camaro.

Dave, may I ask what vendor you would suggest for the driveshaft, shifter, trans cooler lines etc. for a 4L80E? and to otehrs where do you get the 200 4-R goodies? Is it Bow Tie Overdrives?

Thanks!!

Everyone's replies are welcomed!!

Greg

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I will tell you up front I dropped $4,600 in my tranny, but you don t have to.

I used these guys stage two for my tranny, with their #400GSB 2.32 / 1.48 custom ratio planetary gear set installed and an upgraded sprag (super comp direct drum and oversize sprag #4CC/SCDD

http://www.ckperformance.com/resources/GM4L80ETRANSMISSIONS.html

and only used the TCI street fighter for the torque converter (I have a TCI neutral balance flex plate designed for a 427 BBC to get a SFI rated flexplate). I do have the TCI tranny TCU and their software).

Special gear set was used to reduce torque multiplication/rotating speed in the transmission (a serious consideration with both the TH400 and the 4L80E) in first gear, because with a 4.56 rear gear and tons of BBC torque going to overpower the rear tires on launch. The high performance 34 element sprag and drum assembly most use is a factory part that was used in the early GMTH400 transmissions. I broke three professionally built 700R4 trannies in one (all suffered sprag failures even though two of the three used a custom billet steel sprag in the 700R4 that they claimed could not be broken) so I was gun shy and bought it with out breaking the stock one first.

I had the local drive shaft shop weld up a tube the correct length and balance it for my one ton diesel truck (it is heavy, and steel, and about 5" in diameter but it beats having walk in say I am a racer and that I am worried about twisting a drive shaft) with 1350 U-joints. I used a 30 spline TH400 chromemoly front yoke from Competition Engineering, and order the chromemoly rear yoke as an option when I bought my Moser 12 bolt rear end with Eaton posi.

My transmission oil cooler is red (cant remember which brand but it is 18" by 12" one inch thick and since I drive on the street I have an Autometer oil temp gauge that never sees the high side of 230° F and drops to 180° once I hit the interstate and the lock-up converter gets a chance to cool things down. I used Earl s AN6 fittings and braided stainless steel Teflon lined hose.

By the way I am running 13:1 with a huge roller cam in my 582 so I am also old school (class of 1962) with a BSIE in 70 s (worked my way through school as a cop after a brief stint touring beautiful southeast Asia in the Navy).

Larger Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts