9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P0420 (ron ,aka ,badbird no comments on this one please)LOL
catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1
p1406 egr valve pintle position circuit
p1441 evap system flow during purge
p0174 system too lean bank 2

94 camaro, v6, 5spd ,2dr ,red, 145k for miles
any thoughts?? I havent done anything or checked anything yet??
the car belongs to our maint. guy and doesnt have a lot of money to fix it but needs it fixed, due to inspection has to be done..so i dont want to throw parts at it.??

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I would address p1406, and p1441 first, as they are most likely causing p0174. sounds like the EGR valve pintle is stuck due to possible carbon build up, remove the EGR and look for carbon, around the needle pintle. then I would check all the hoses going to EVAP canister for damage or disconnects, also check for a faulty gas cap, if the tank does not pressurize it will throw a 1441 code.

Ashley

catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1 -

any thoughts?? I havent done anything or checked anything yet??[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would address p1406, and p1441 first, as they are most likely causing p0174. sounds like the EGR valve pintle is stuck due to possible carbon build up, remove the EGR and look for carbon, around the needle pintle. then I would check all the hoses going to EVAP canister for damage or disconnects, also check for a faulty gas cap, if the tank does not pressurize it will through a 1441 code.

Ashley

catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1 -

any thoughts?? I havent done anything or checked anything yet??
[/QUOTE]ill give it a shot!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
egr is likely failed, common on those with some age, 174 is the result of this, check for any re-cals at the dealer as well. cat dtc, cat has failed, likely due to the above.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got a $228.00 egr and a $12.00 gas cap coming..no parts here in nc today??

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, BILL!:thumbsup:....I WAS JUST GOING TO SUGGEST THAT PERHAPS THE T.P.R. (THROTTLE PINION REGULATOR) VALVE NEEDS TO BE RE-CALIBRATED!!:yes:
:Dlol:hurray:

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should have my parts from gm this morning!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Ya.... Your cats most likely toast especially if you are running slightly lean and got some good heat build up, the cylinder bank should be fine though. I agree with everything else though.

Gas cap is the problem 80% of the time, had a gf one time who wouldn't listen to me because her brother-in-law was the head tech.... She spent over 500 dollars to find out it was a gas cap in the end go figure. haha

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Parts did not come in today!!

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
parts are on and going for a test drive!!

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bill....I'm glad for you and I'm glad it's fixed and that you had a chance to re-calibrate the T.P.R. Valve!!
:hurray:ron,..all i know is ,it runs and i got all my tools..now, if the check engine light will stay off, im good..im thinking i need a cat. though??..:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Car has been running for 2-3 days now, all is good, and it passed emissions testing too..

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Good deal that cats good then man. It was probably setting a cat code because of running lean. The cat can't clean efficiently unless its switching from lean to rich.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts