Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 WINDSTAR 3.8L(78K MILE VAN,AUTO)....ONLY ON MORNINGS BELOW 38 DEGREE'S, ON START UP ONLY..IT CAMS(IDLES UP AND DOWN)WHILE DRIVING ITS FINE, ITS ONLY WHEN STOPPED IN GEAR..(AT A RED LIGHT OR STOP SIGN) .TILL IT GETS UP TO TEMP AND NEVER DOES IT AGAIN ALL THAT DAY??..NO LIGHTS NO CODES?? ANY THOUGHTS??:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks don, she has new motorcrafts in her!!

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,456 Posts
I would say its a IAC (idle air controll).

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would say its a iac (idle air controll).
JEFF,..i took off the original one and cleaned it!! Didnt work!! Replaced it with a new one..still didnt work!!

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,456 Posts
JEFF,..i took off the original one and cleaned it!! Didnt work!! Replaced it with a new one..still didnt work!!
Hmm! Next I would clean the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor with some sensor cleaner.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm! Next i would clean the maf (mass air flow) sensor with some sensor cleaner.
jeff,good ideas.. Keep them coming..i swapped a good one from a running vehicle!! Didnt change a thing!!

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I am not a tech, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night, but...

Did you clean the ports under the IAC? Seems to be a common issue, and just swapping on another IAC wouldn't help.

http://leckemby.net/windstar/windstar02.html

My Silverado used to do something simliar, build up gook behind the throttle body/IAC because it was close to where the EGR dumped into the intake. Great designs.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not a tech, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night, but...

Did you clean the ports under the IAC? Seems to be a common issue, and just swapping on another IAC wouldn't help.

http://leckemby.net/windstar/windstar02.html

My Silverado used to do something simliar, build up gook behind the throttle body/IAC because it was close to where the EGR dumped into the intake. Great designs.
eric, love the link!!..i am spotless in the ports and passages and all are fully decarboned ..really were not bad at all ??..what do you think about the intake causing this??:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any thoughts??? Before i dive in a do an intake job????

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,456 Posts
Maybe a temperature sensor?
Everytime I have had the surging idle it has been either the maf or the iac. But I only work on Crown Vics (cop cars) for the last ten years.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey jeff, good one ..i hooked up the scanner to get a reading when it was cold and it red normal ??thats what i thought of too..coolant low also would do that too..when i first checked the temp sensor it was warm and duh?? I had to wait a day till it got cool and checked it at start up and it was good!..

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
diggin into the intake now!!

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my daughter had a t-bird that would rev up on its own.I replaced the throttle position sensor and cured it
thanks for the idea..im good there:beers:

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im 30 minutes from finishing the intake gasket!!...gotta love a ford!! lol

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
im 30 minutes from finishing the intake gasket!!...gotta love a ford!! lol
They're really not any harder to work on than any other car. I had to pull the entire intake off my 99 explorer due to a hole melted in the top part of the intake that's all plastic. I just ended up sealing it with an epoxy resin and fixed the other problem I had with it that also sounds like what you're experiencing. Had to take it up to the Ford dealership where my dad works to have them attach the smoke machine to it to find the hole since it was behind a bunch of stuff. Those smoke machines are VERY helpful finding intake leaks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts