Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a 68 z28 numbers matching car. i noticed the temp gage is always reading on the hot side even when the engine never over heats.when warm it reads one line from over heating,in the red. is this normal or maybe the wrong sending unit? or resistor behind gage needs to be changed?i have the 4 gage cluster by the shifter.i would like to know how other peoples gages act.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
If it starts at halfway and moves over to hot when it's actually just warm, then the needle just needs adjusted. As long as you are sure it's not overheating, you should be able to get it into the ballpark. You can either try to gently "push" it to the left when the car is cold, preferably all the way to the left, or else remove the needle and realign it to far left when it's cold. Taking the needle off may be tricky, mine was able to move a little without pulling it completely off.

------------------
John D. Smith
69 SS/396 CLONE!
The Texas Tornado lives!

North Texas Camaro Club

Hobbystage Free Picture Posting!!! http://hobbystage.net/camaro/69ss396/

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Have a shop that has an I.R. gun "shoot" the thermostat housing and compare that actual reading with what you see on the gauge at the same time so you know what you're seeing on the gauge. The sending unit is probably going south. The best replacement is the Wells TU-5 that AutoZone sells ($6.00) - closest to the original AC production sender calibration. If you replace the sending unit, DO NOT use any thread sealant on it - the sender depends on a good ground to the engine in order to work properly.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 4 of 4 Posts