Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recerntly, my temp guage as been sitting in the red. I think the temp guage might not be operating correctly because the motor does not show any signs of overheating. When i lift the hood, the engine compartment seems to not have excessive heat. The engine seems to run fine without any detonation. i put one of those laser temp guages on different parts of the motor and it reads about 199 on the block in between the exhaust ports. when i drive on the freeway, the needle still stays in the red. Is it safe to say the guage is not operating correctly?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wouldnt say it is always maxed to the right. It actually climbs as it warms up but it keeps going all the way to the red. It used to stay around the normal area which was staight up but recently, it started pegging to the right. When I pull the wire at the sending unit, it goes all the way to the left.

·
Super Moderator
32,294 Posts
The head sensor probably needs changing.
You can change it out when cold.
I would remove the engine strap for better accessibility.
Have the new one in hand and unscrew the old one with one hand and replace with the other hand minimizing the amount of coolant lost.
No teflon tape as you want the sensor body grounded to the head.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, Thanks everett. Is there a way to check it? also, i noticed that my upper radiator hose is firm when the motor is running as though there is a lot of presure. is it supposed to have pressure? I thought it was supposed to feel spongy and i had already changed the thermostat.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The head sensor probably needs changing.
You can change it out when cold.
I would remove the engine strap for better accessibility.
Have the new one in hand and unscrew the old one with one hand and replace with the other hand minimizing the amount of coolant lost.
No teflon tape as you want the sensor body grounded to the head.
Same problem with mine. Changing the temp sensor did nothing. I put a mechanical gauge in. Its all about resistance and if the gauge is out of the threshold then you will never get it right. These old gauges will get you in trouble in a heartbeat if they are electrical. Its worth trying the sensor for 15 bucks first.

·
Super Moderator
32,294 Posts
Ok, Thanks everett. Is there a way to check it? also, i noticed that my upper radiator hose is firm when the motor is running as though there is a lot of presure.
Yes, a tight system and good cap, the upper hose will feel tight/firm.
One time long ago, I checked the resistance of the sending unit at operating temp.
An ohm reading from the spade to a good ground read approximately 200 ohms for an midrange gauge reading.
Whether or not it still applies today, I have no idea.

Sometimes, the gauge is broke.
You're welcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts