Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be installing mechanical Temp and Oil gauges and was wondering where through the firewall was the best place to route these lines. Thre problem I see with the temp sender is the sender is going to need at least a 1/2" hole.

Where do I install the braided line on the engine for oil pressure? I have the gauge but no line or fitting. I am going to use a length of braided steel line.

I have always used electric gauges and this is my first attempt at mechanical so any tips ideas would be appreciated.

Edelbrock RPM manifold and the original '67 327.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I drilled a hole about 4" below the wiper motor and in a little to miss the booster support. I drilled it from the inside with a holesaw. The gauge kit came with a 3/4" grommet with 3 holes, one hole had a slit cut to the outsde to slide the temp gauge wire in. I tapped the oil gauge into the block, right behind the intake manifold. The kit came with plastic line for the oil gauge with compression fittings.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Just like Jamie says the oil tap is behind the intake manifold on top of the block just to the left of the distributor. If you currently have an oil pressure switch you can retain it by using a tee fitting. Sometimes it's nice to have the light also to get your attention. Rubber grommets can be purchased at most good hardware store for just about any size you'll need.

Dave

·
Registered
326 Posts
CFunk, Napa sells a copper line kit for the oil pressure gauge with soldered ends that works nice. If your using a flexible steel line that would be good also. Stay away from the plastic line, it can ruin your day.
Drew

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You will have a small issue with routing the line past the throttle arm if you drill the hole in the location discussed above. I used the M-21 speedo cable hole that is a little bit more to the left and had to bow the SS line over the throttle arm and rod to avoid interference.

The best place to me is more directly over the engine a little to the right of the distributor. The disadvantage is that the hole is more noticeable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts