Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a car a couple of weeks ago after it had been sanded to bare metal. When it was trailered down here it went through a rainstorm. I didn't have time to do anything to it and, when I went out to look at it, there's surface rust all over it. The car needs some minor body work, but I want to temporarily put something on it to "preserve" it in the meantime. I will need to sand it to get the surface rust off again and then put some primer on it.

What grit should I use for this application?
What's your recommendation on Rattle Can primer for this app vs. a spray on?
Will I need to sand it after priming it, or do I jsut wait until I take it to a body man and have him do it?

I have a compressor, but I've never painted anything before. I could go to Harbor Freight and pick up a cheap paint gun for about $30, and then some kind of primer.... would that be a better way to go than rattle?

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
Remove the surface rust....depending on what the surface is like between a 80 to 150 grit.
hit with a good phosphotic rust killer let cure and dry...and seal ASAP....
An epoxy is best.
Yep get a elcheapo gun..not too cheap thu....
This will work out cheaper and better in the long run over using aerosol cans.
When painting we use cheaper guns for under coating, and keep the good guns for finish coats....
Never painted before...some good tips in old threads here...and if you mess up at this stage...it doesnt matter, will come out in the blocking down later...best time to learn.

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...hit with a good phosphotic rust killer let cure and dry...and seal ASAP.... An epoxy is best.
Just trying to understand the steps (Steps :) ) - What is a phosphotic rust killer? Is this the stuff: http://www.therustdoctor.com/

When you say "seal" I am assuming you mean to apply the primer, correct?

Sorry for the rudimentary questions... I just have never had any experience with this. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have used "Ospho" for light surface rust. Sand off as much rust as possible and then apply. Follow up with PPG-DP90 epoxy primer or similar. Seemed to work great for me. Read about it here --> http://brands.hardwarestore.com/skybrite-company.aspx . You should be able to find something similar locally, that is unless California has funny EPA rules about it???...Jb

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Steve:
Give me a cal and I can talk you through this.
You can find "Ospho" at most goos paint/hardware stores like a 'True Value' near you. "Jasco" and others make simular 'Phosporic acid' products to do the same thing.
You do need to remove as much of the surface rust as possible before you coat - it's pretty easy to get a good clean surface with a 110v DA sander and 120 grit pads.
I can get you the PPG epoxy from my paint guy or you can find it local (or online). Pick a light color, like DPL-48, for lighter final colors and darker, DPL-90, for darker final top coats.
Spraying this material is not hard at all, it's really a very forgiving product. Getting the proper mix is important to having it cure correctly - just mix it to the exact porportions given in the data sheets.
I have a couple different primer guns you can use for this if it's a 'one-shot' thingy, or you can buy a decent one from lots of outlets including you local Sears store. You will need nozzle size @1.4~1.8 to shoot the stuff nicely.

Hope some of this helps;
John

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
What is a phosphotic rust killer?
Phosphoric Acid....
When you say "seal" I am assuming you mean to apply the primer, correct?
Yep..I use a local (NZ) commercial rust kill...due to the contents only avalible to the trade ....this one doesnt need to seal for 6 to 12 months so long as it doesnt get wet.
Stay away from the 'paint and rust kill all in one' products

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I am also a beginner and hate to break in but this post has made me curious. Would you use the Phosphotic acid before or after the stuff called 'Surface Prep'? Also, what is the not-so-obvious difference between 'epoxy primer', 'acid etching primer' and 'urethane primer'?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts