Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently replaced my points/dist with a daves small-body unit in my 68 with 327/4bbl q-jet 291 heads stock cam, intake etc, cowl induction, K&N dual exhaust stock manifolds. while my idle, tip in and starting are good my "seat of the pants" performance seems to have lessened. I set up the dist for 10 degress initial and using ported vacuum, (full mainfold vacuum caused intermittant starting issues) my vacuum guage reading is 21 and steady, full voltage 14.2 is read at coil +. spark plugs are gapped at .035 AC delco 45 I have experimented with idle mixture screws and notice performance,throttle response seems to improve when I richen the mixture although then idle suffers and exhaust gas smell is noticible when idling in traffic. I was wondering if the new High energy ignition is causing me to run leaner. I have no idea of what jets or rods etc. are in my q-jet. It was rebuild 5 years ago and besides having to pump it a little extra after sitting over the weekend it has been good to me. The old plugs when removed from the points setup were also a little light in color. car is strictly a daily driver just trying to get a little more out of her. Thanks for feedback. Dan

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Check the springs on the weights under the rotor compared to your old distributor. Most likely the new ones are medium weight. You can get a little more acceleration by going to a lighter spring or mix of light/medium springs which allows the advance to come on faster. You'd have to see how it drove like that to make sure it doesn't cause problems. I run a light enough set of springs so all of my advance is in by 3000 RPM.

You can also most likely run more advance. Find out how much mechanical advance is in the distributor (most likely around 20 degrees). Bump your initial timing up so your total timing (initial + mechanical) is around 34-36 degrees total.

Also you can mess with your vacuum advance some to get more part-throttle response.

If you changed out nothing but the distributor/ignition then you shouldn't really have anything to do on the carb.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts