Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my console gauges over the weekend. They were working fine up until Tues night. I wanted to run my car out of gas to fine out how true the thing read. I did. After adding a couple of gallons and restarting the car the gauge went all the way over and off the scale on the full side (I haven't filled it yet) I just checked all the connections. It is grounded and has power, I even turnned the gauge upside down and let the needle fall back to E. As son as I turn the key on it went back to way past F. It is a brand new OEM console gauge set.

Bad gauge or did my sender or wiring from the tank go bad. Pretty strange timing if it is the latter.

Any thoughts on how to test the signal from the tank?

·
Registered
819 Posts
69rad
Man I feel your pain. Trust me. I just did a console with guages on my '68 and had a terrible time getting the fuel guage to work. The one in my dash worked when I took it out, and all of a sudden, I hook up the console guage and nothing. To check the wriring from the sender, you can simply run a wire from the sending unit connection, in the trunk, right to the guage. Just make sure you have power to the guage and it is grounded. With my car, the wire must have shorted out - somehow - so i ran a new wire from the sending unit connection right to the gauge, bypassing the old wire. I would try and test the sending unit with an ohm meter (at the sending unit connection in the trunk). You will get 0 ohms at empty and roughly 90 at full. Estimate how much gas you have and see if you get that approx reading from the ohm meter. The fact that the gauage is pegging full indicates (to me - after learing about this through my mess) that the guage is not grounded properly. But, the fact that you emptied the tank, and bottomed out the sending unit and all of a sudden the gauge stopped working, seems too coincidental. "Sounds" like a problem with the sender. Try the ohm meter test on the sending unit and see what reading you get. Again 0=empty and 90=full.

This might help as well:

Fuel Gauge Trouble Shooting

Dan
'68 Convertible

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Is what gets me is the thing was working great for 4 days.

Where do I get to the sender connection? Don't say I got to drop the tank. The resistance values are exactly what I needed.

Thanks for the help!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts