Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Holley 80gph mechanical fuel pump decided to stop working after about 4 hours of running time. The pump is almost a year old and barely moves the gauge off of 0 psi at idle. At one point it made almost 1 psi but when I brought the rpm up the pressure went down? I pulled off the supply side and put the hose right in a cup of gas and it still didn't make pressure. Anything else I can do to verify my pump is dead before I buy another today?
I have a Holley electric but I cannot find a decent place to mount the thing. So I am giving up and going back to mechanical.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
More than likely the pump has a blown diaphram. This would not be rare at all. You may want to pull your oil dipstick and see if your oil smells like gas as well. Buy a new pump and you will be up and running.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went and bought a cheapo 12.00 stock pump and it makes around 3psi. My tank, sender, and fuel lines are new so I don't think anything is stopped up. I blew a little air back through the line and it bubbled in the tank so I don't think anything is stopped up. This all started when I got the dumb idea of putting an electric pump in the trunk. I got a nice new holley pump and mounted it in the trunk. Went for a drive and around 1/4 tank the car was running out of gas. I came here and read that the pump must be mounted under the fuel level. After laying under my car for a couple nights trying to find a safe place to mount the pump I gave up and put the mechanical pump back on.
I am really thinking of putting a fuel cell in the trunk with the electric pump and being done with the whole mess. Simple things like this drive me crazy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, I did have gas in my oil but I thought it was from the car being towed to the paint shop and a needle sticking in the carb...I tried starting it and it flooded real bad until I realized the needle was stuck. I changed the plugs and oil when it came home from the paint shop and only ran it another 1/2 hour when the cam wiped. I think this car project is just a big test of my patience.
What helps is my wife's constant complaining and the "I told you you should have just bought a corvette".

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
The Corvette comment has to motivate you. Do you have a vent line on your tank? If you plugged it that would lead to fuel starvation/lack of fuel pressure. It's like trying to pour gas out of a can with the little vent closed. Try removing your gas cap and see if you have more fuel pressure. If you do then you either need a vented cap or you need to find the vent on your tank and make sure it's open.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts