Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings to all. Just bought my newest toy a 1969 Z28 tribute and thought I'd say hello to everyone!

Has a very nice 327 with Edelbrock aluminum heads, intake, carb, headers...etc. Factory AC (big deal in Texas), steering and 4 wheel power drum brakes.

I'm having the stripes in the rear fixed (wrong spacing) and adding some big brakes next week.

It's had a full restoration and is incredibly straight and clean.

Built at Norwood in the 1st week of November 1969 so it's a late year 69.

Paint 59/59: Frost Green
Trim 723: Midnight Green Standard

It's a non SS X11 car.

I've never been big on green cars but this one got me... something different... I've always been a red or black car guy but I fell for it hook line and sinker. Should stand out nicely in a sea of other cars. The paint really pops in sunlight.

I'm looking at a Gear Vendors OD for the TH400 and may go to black interior at some point but it's just too clean to replace/dye right now. 3.73's in the rear.

The 327 is very nice, idles with AC nicely but has a real bark to it, very responsive.

I'm sure I'll start making it to some of the local shows and gatherings so if you are in the DFW area let me know what's going on.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

The photos don't do it justice. I was there today to go over some details, going to restripe and reclear the whole car, replace the door weather stripping...was hard and cracked, and of course the 13" brakes. Took it for a spin down the road before teardown.. man she hits hard! Really nice powerplant.

Should be ready late next week.

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Don't be too quick to "fix" the stripes in the rear. The early built '69 model cars had stripes that were closer together than later. Yours may be correct for the early production cars. I do say that without seeing them myself, there may be other issues you wish to correct.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Don't be too quick to "fix" the stripes in the rear. The early built '69 model cars had stripes that were closer together than later. Yours may be correct for the early production cars. I do say that without seeing them myself, there may be other issues you wish to correct.
As I stated above, it's a November 69 car but more than that the stripes are all wrong. The spacing and width up front is wrong but better than the back. Notice that the stripes don't extend to the back window (I know, they terminate just below it)? The outer edges of the stripes should also be roughly (forget the exact measurements) even with the outside edge of the back glass AND the stripes should not extend below the spoiler on to the edge of the decklid... just all wrong:

One other thing. I bought this from Atlas Muscle Cars ( http://www.atlasmusclecars.com ), north of McKinney in Blue Ridge. Matt and Harvey are good guys and not only do they keep some really great cars but they do all of their own work...very nice work at that.

=== YOU WILL HAVE TO COPY AND PASTE THE LINK SINCE THIS SITE'S URL REDIRECT SYSTEM IS MESSED UP===

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to change the Green interior. I was at the Camaro Nationals here in Canada in June and cars with colors you don't see much were a bug hit.
One thing I think really should be on a Z Tribute is the rear bumper guards. I like that color combo and the brakes will be a great addition.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm liking the green more and more. I love the frost green paint I've just always had and liked black interiors but I will give it time as it is too nice to mess with now.

As far as the bumper gaurds I have never really paid much attention. Not sure I like the Z gaurds.

I appreciate everyone's kind words and advice. This is my first 1st Gen so I am learning.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Welcome! Awesome looking car you have there! I really like your rims/tire combo! What are they?

But I'm probably stupid, but if it's a Z/28 tribute, shouldn't it have a DZ302 in it instead of a 327?
And I've never seen those rear stripes before, so my guess is they need to be changed ;)

Elias

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'm liking the green more and more. I love the frost green paint I've just always had and liked black interiors but I will give it time as it is too nice to mess with now.

As far as the bumper gaurds I have never really paid much attention. Not sure I like the Z gaurds.

I appreciate everyone's kind words and advice. This is my first 1st Gen so I am learning.
Since you are going with a Z/28 Tribute theme, and you are fixing the stripes, the bumperettes would complete the exterior Z/28 look. Once someone sees the automatic shfter they will know it isn't a Z. Although I did see a local Z that was changed to a 400 for racing. It was funny with the 4 speed brake pedal. i was an actuall X33 car.
I have had the bumperettes on all of my Zs and I have them on my 68. I do like them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess the real question here is... how serious do I want to get about this car being a Z28 clone? Something for me to think about.

·
Registered
496 Posts
True, because you could keep the 327 and just delete the Z/28 badges or you can change it to a 302 or just get you an aftermarket one.

But I find an automatic quite a giveaway that you're not rolling in a Z...

Elias

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah... but she sure is pretty! Maybe one day I'll drop a Tremec in it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome! Awesome looking car you have there! I really like your rims/tire combo! What are they?

Elias
They are Torque Thrust II's I believe. 18's rear, 17 front. 275 rear, 245 front, Kumho Ecsta ASX, inexpensive, about 110-145.00/tire.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hmm.. obviously it's still in the shop, won't be ready until the end of the week, but I had assumed they were either TT II's or Foose... look closer to a Foose Legend but not exact unless it was an earlier version.

Now I'm scratching my melon.... they aren't Boss 338's either....hmmmmmmmm

AHA! MB Old School! http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/wheels/mb_wheels/product/byName.do?tmn=Old+School&typ=Car/Minivan

·
Registered
496 Posts
Jep, they look the same if ya' ask me!
i'm off to bed now, see ya later!

PS : I've sent you a pm.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts