Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about the program, at the Texas DMV site, and had a question. It said that vehicles over 24 years old are not subjected to emissions testing.

However my question is, even if a car is older than 24 years will they still visually look to see if the factory emissions equiptment is still there?
Will a 25 year old car with no emissions equiptment pass the inspection?

[This message has been edited by FrankP (edited 03-18-2002).]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called down there and some wimin told me they will check to see if the stuff is on the car. Well they're supposed to anyway.It sounds like they might be a might lax though, according to RickB. Anyone else have any experience with the inspections?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
They are usually very lax, they look to see if the brake lights work, turn signals, horn, tires are in good shape, etc.......The only problem I ran into was my exhaust, because it was just dropped off after the mufflers. According to law, it has to exit somewhere behind the rear axle. However, I found a place in Dallas that will do it NO MATTER WHAT is wrong with the car. Did I mention he's a good friend of mine

------------------
John D. Smith
69 SS/396 CLONE!
The Texas Tornado lives!

North Texas Camaro Club

Hobbystage Free Picture Posting!!! http://hobbystage.net/camaro/69ss396/

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KZ this is exellent news! If I move down there I
will check back and see if someone can refer me to a shop. I will have the greenbacks ready to apply the grease where needed

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Whoa there, hold your horses! There's a new emissions sheriff in Texas beginning April 1. Do you guys remember the several months of very strict testing we had to put up with in the DFW area several years ago? Well, it's coming back. All metro areas with pollution problems are getting the new testing procedures.

Not sure how it's going to impact the little guy, but I'm sure it's not good. I spoke with the DMV a while back and the reply I got was that you had to maintain the factory emissions equipment in order to pass, even if the car is more than 24 years old.

The good/bad news is that most of the young inspectors don't know what our cars were supposed to have. During the Nazi testing, I got by without having a smog pump, but they got me for having an open air cleaner - even though I could show them pictures of factory open air cleaners.

·
Registered
162 Posts
VEHICELS did i spell that right 2 yrs old to 25 years old will be dyno tested [not new cars or cars older than 25] all others will be safety inspected only and there are no more non emmision countys so this means
people in country now also get sniffer
test if you guys get tested for emmision
equipment on a car or eng older than 25 years
leave as fast as you can yes i said engine
they are supposed to go buy newest year model so if you have a vortec? uh oh
legally you meet emission requirements
for that year model

·
Registered
162 Posts
buy the way if you use antique tags you
need no inspection and plates are good for 3 years

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see the "Antique" plates are only for non-regular use ie parades ec. What about the
"Classic car" plates? Can those who have them
skip the safety check too? (Could not find that info on the Texas DMV site.) There seems to be many strange things going on down there! Besides
the lurking Scorpions, Snakes and Tarantulas.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have classic registration and was told i did not need an inspection sticker. A cop told me this at a show. I was a bit leary so i called TXDOT. They confirmed it.

I have talked to the guys at the shows that sell classic plates and they say i need yearly inspections. It does make sense, since with classic plates the car can be driven more miles per year than Antique. I think the person at TXDOT was confused.....

Anyone know?

------------------
My '69 Camaro Convertible

·
Registered
208 Posts
Where can I find out if they are going to start doing emissions testing in the Austin area. I am tired of inhaling fumes from the junkers on the roads here. I did not have any trouble getting my 67 inspected last 2 years. I think the guy got a woody just because he could drive it. I got to go to the front of the line. That really made some people mad.

------------------
Kent
67 SS 427

·
Registered
162 Posts
call any state inspection place they will
know. Austin is not in a emmission
county already?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts