Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to shift my `78 camaro from park to drive while sitting at the taco bell drive thru and the automatic floorshifter just slopped back and forth with no shifting and no resistance. I can manually shift if by puttting on the emergency brake shifting the lever that comes out of the firewall around the steering column. I pulled off the cover for the shifter on the console and I could see nothing broken there. The P-R-N-D-D2-D1 indicator also does not move.

Is there just a cable that goes from the floor shifter to the steering column that is broken? This seems to be the obvious solution. Again it is a th350 floorshift auto in a 78 camaro.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

also does anyone have anything good or bad to say about PST's polygraphite suspension bushings? marketing ploy, or do they actually work well? Would I be better off with moog stuff?

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chuck,

if I remember correctly, there is a cable from the shifter to the trans. From the trans to the steering column there is a lock rod (back drive rod) that prevents the shifter from being moved out of park when the ignition is off.

From your description of the problem, it seems as if the cable has disconnected at either the trans or shifter end.

The fix may be as simple as bolting the end that came loose back on, or the cable may have broken.
Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts