Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of intalling a rebuilt 350 with hardened sprag race, hi-temp clutches, shift kit, new seals, etc. Should be very tight and last a long time. I am concerned with the heat issue. I have a "not so stock" 3 core (and a little wider than stock) radiator and will be utilizing that for the tranny cooler. I will have to replace the beat-up/bent-up fluid lines and want to put hi-pressure rubber hydraulic lines like the ones from the power steering to de-emphasize the appearance of the stockish metal lines.
(we have a great place here called House of Hose that will custom fab all kinds of hose lengths and styles like that)
Question: Will the tranny build up too much heat because of these hoses? They will obviously not bleed off heat like the metal ones would have just hanging out in the air...

I don't want to ruin a new tranny?! Thanks

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i would keep metal lines. there are plenty of good lines in junkyards, and they are preety much free- not a hi demand item.some places even make repro's.kind of a pain sometimes, but worth the effort.you could paint them black if you want them to disappear.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels

·
Registered
46 Posts
A friend of mine had a 4x4 blazer that he tricked out, he used the metal lines but painted them chevy blue with chrome ends to match the motor, it looked real nice.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I would run a seperate cooler along with the one in the radiator. The lines dont have much to do with cooling as the fact that most guys run them so close to the exhaust that they can actually get hotter. If you could get the hose with a larger dia. than the stock lines than it should flow better too.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

1 - 5 of 5 Posts