Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a B&M Transkit that I am putting in a TH400.

The forward clutch it says to put in the wavy clutch plate (asume this means the old one as no new one comes with it), then one of their new steels on top of it and the new friction discs. You end up with the wavy plate plus 5 new steels and 5 discs. This is one more then originaly in their (because you are leaving the wavy one in). I am guessing they are trying to tighten up the clearances on the clutch pack, the new steels are .076, I think the old steels were .078 and the wavy .061, but I would have to double check that. Problem is that I have to press down on the hub in order to install the snap ring, this has to be way too tight.

It doesn't say what the clearance should be for the clutch pack. Anyone done one of these and have any good advise? Tried calling them but of course they aren't open today. :sad:

·
Registered
445 Posts
TOO TIGHT,
Either install just the wavy or leave it out and install just the steel. Not super critical either way. You can also use a thicker direct steel to take up clearance. Use it in the middle of the clutch pack if so.

Go here if you have any other questions while rebuilding it:
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58578

Don't drill the feed holes as big as B&M suggests...

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't drill the feed holes as big as B&M suggests...

Good luck.
Are you talking about the hole in the forward clutch hub and driving hub. They actually already are 3/16" like B&M wants them drilled and are 12 of them already.

Is their a spec on how much gap their should be for the forward clutch pack?

·
Registered
445 Posts
No,
I'm speaking of the feed holes in the seperator plate.

The forward clutch is a non-shifting clutch, clearances are not critical. Typically you are looking for a clearance of about .010" per friction plate. So a 5 clutch setup would need ~.050".

Large diameter frictions require more clearance. Such as intermediate frictions in a Th350.

A clutch that sees little use but is more of a "driven-through" clutch such as the low reverse clutches on a Th350 need more clearance to prevent drag. This clutch is only on in 1st gear manual and reverse and is only for engine braking in 1st, so it is dragging in 2nd and 3rd gear.

However the non shifting clutch like the forwards on a TH400 or TH350 can be fairly tight but they must have clearance otherwise you'll have creeping in neutral and drag in reverse.
.025" is as tight as I would go and be aware, if you set it up tight, and accidently do a reverse burnout or drive fast in reverse, you can smoke the frictions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I left out one of the new .077 plate and left the wavy plate on bottom, it is at .05 now so all should be good.

The Direct clutch seems as though it is way too tight also. I already replaced one of the .09 plates with a .07 plate and have about .05 right now. B&M specs out .06-.09, so I have to get another .077 plate for it.

Kind of a pain, I have done a couple of 727's before and they have the opposite problem, they are always too loose and you have to tighten them up.

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts