Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have been battling a tranny leak for a couple years now. The fluid seems to be coming from the front passenger side of the pan. I have a TCI aluminum deep pan. I can't tell if it is leaking somewhere else and running down the pan or if that is where the leak is originating.

I have changed pans twice and changed the gasket too many times to count. It leaks after driving a little. It is not a huge puddle but it just keeps dripping. It will even leak if I drain it, change the gasket, and then refill it with the same fluid without even starting it. How would i ensure that the vent isn't clogged without an air compressor? I was thinking about gently using a pipe cleaner to check it.

I tried to put a grommet instead of an o-ring on the dipstick tube but it doesn't fit; it seems like I need a different tube for a grommet. Will the stock tube made for an o-ring fit with a grommet instead?

When I pulled the tube out to replace the o-ring with a grommet alot of fluid came out. Is that normal for the fluid to be that high over the dipstick tube opening that it pours out?

I have it jacked up on the passenger side so I can get under it so the fluid would naturally be pooling up on the other side of the trans.

Any suggestions would really help!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Josh I have a similar problem with my TH350 and I was told that it is the dipstick tube. When you start the car and put it in gear the stall converter fills and when it is parked the converter drains and some of the fluid comes up the dipstick tube. It is a pain since the tube is in a difficult spot. I tried to have it fixed once but it still drips a bit.:mad:

·
Premium Member
5,315 Posts
It's possible that the tube itself is cracked. Hard to see but I replaced some that were. I think I would try to put some trans stop leak in there first, If it's a seal that should stop it, if it's the tube it won't. Trans fluid is high detergent and will clean everything it runs over, look for the highest point that's clean or wet. could also be loose cooler lines in that area. You 350 guys also have kickdown cable over in that corner too.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your help. Im gonna get a new tube for a grommet today. Ill let you know if it works.

·
Registered
717 Posts
It's possible that the tube itself is cracked. Hard to see but I replaced some that were. I think I would try to put some trans stop leak in there first, If it's a seal that should stop it, if it's the tube it won't. Trans fluid is high detergent and will clean everything it runs over, look for the highest point that's clean or wet. could also be loose cooler lines in that area. You 350 guys also have kickdown cable over in that corner too.

Jeff
Jeff, is the trans stop leak harmful to the transmission in anyway? If it's not I think I will give it a try and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
5,315 Posts
Jeff, is the trans stop leak harmful to the transmission in anyway? If it's not I think I will give it a try and see what happens.
The father of the local trans shop owner here told me he put about 2 tablespoons of brake fluid is his trans to stop a seepage leak, not sure that I would try that. I have only used Seafoam Trans Tune Up to fix a sticky shift valve in a 700R4. (it worked) I used to earn a paycheck as a mechanic and am not much of a believer in "snake oil" but thought maybe stop leak would be a good solution for you as this seems to be a very frustrating problem.

Jeff

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey all,

I have been battling a tranny leak for a couple years now. The fluid seems to be coming from the front passenger side of the pan. I have a TCI aluminum deep pan. I can't tell if it is leaking somewhere else and running down the pan or if that is where the leak is originating.
does the TCI AL Deep Pan have any ribs or anything like the cheap sheet metal ones? Or is a flat face?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts