Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 400 isn't kicking down to passing gear at all. It has a Transgo reprogram kit that includes shift kit & torque converter. The trans has been set up this way for 20 years so it's not the kit. But it's just kinda quit down shifting when you nail the throttle. Could the Modulater be bad? There is no kickdown cable, just the vac. line to the modulater. I have checked, there is no vac. leak between the manifold & mod. And the intake is not sucking trans fluid at all.
Ideas?

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The TH400 uses an electric solenoid inside the trans. for kickdown. You'll see a wire running to the left rear side of the trans. Depending on the car, there will be a switch either at the carb linkage or at the gas pedal to activate the solenoid. Check the switch and wireing to see if you get 12V at the trans. at kickdown (key in ON position). If you do get 12V, the problem is either the solenoid, or the small wire inside the trans that connects to it.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kyvox, I thought that wire was for backup lights. I followed it up to a small harness by the dist. then it went to the big loom that plugs in the firewall. It's an orange wire. I stepped on the gas hard this afternoon and had to beat a semi merging on the freeway. It kicked down. But I couldn't get it to do it again no matter how hard I tried. There's no switch at the carb and I couldn't see one at the pedal. Didn't get a very good look up there though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Stevo,

You will find the switch under the dash if it's not out side. The one under the dash is not adjustable. There will be a round thing about 3/8 in diameter sticking out at the top of the pedal that gets pushed back at wot. Normaly you can slide a peace of 3/8 fuel hose over the round peace, and that will make it go back far enough to then get passing gear.

Like Kyvox said it is electric. Check the orange wire with a test light, key on, wot.

Larry
www.lnjstreetrods.com

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Not helping Steve here, but I have a question. Does it matter if the switch is activated at less than WOT? I have mine adjusted to make contact at about 3/4 throttle.

Thanks

joe

------------------
69 Rat-Infested Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/joeg/

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'll check this out this morning.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have this same problem with my TH350. With the 350, is it the vacuum modulator that could be to blame? I can't kick into passing gear once I reach the last gear unless I slow way down or stop. I think the guy that had this car before me abused the tranny.

------------------
67 Coupe 327 LF7 - Trim tag revealed that it was one of the first 1,000 Camaros off Van Nuys in 67 after I bought it!
Edelbrock performer package, ported 305 heads w/ 1.94/1.5 valves, screw in studs, summit 1.5 roller rockers, TH350, 10 bolt Pertronix ignition, Hotchkis suspension & sway bar, KYB's, Dynomax headers and exhaust, K&N, Cowl hood

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lnjstreetrods:
Not at all Joe, the governor will controll the final wot shift point, and also when it will no longer go to passing gear because of vehicle speed.

Larry
www.lnjstreetrods.com
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Larry! I wonder why the factory has it set for WOT?

joe

------------------
69 Rat-Infested Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/joeg/

[This message has been edited by Joe G (edited 09-19-2002).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts