Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, All, This "nubile" is saying hello. I am obviously new to this site (and chat forums) but I have enjoyed a few muscle cars over the years - nothing fancy. In 1981 I found a 70 SS 396 El Camino in a ditch near a body shop. It was rough but I learned a lot. That is how I got most of my cars.

My current 1st gen Camaro (67/68) is a similar situation. Just a shell, no drivetrain, glass, interior, wiring, and rust. The reasonable thing would be to let it go but I guess I have become too stubborn. I'm gonna build it.

Hope you all have a safe and happy Memorial Day Weekend.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Wait a minute? You get your classic cars from a ditch near a body shop? Welcome to the site, beware of the LS trolls(no matter what the subject they say "just put an LS in it").

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Duncan - Welcome to Team Camaro. Sounds like a great project. You should start a build tread in the Build forum to track your progress. You planning a restoration to factory specs or resto-mod for her?

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Welcome to TC! Another thing you're going to hear: Where are the pictures?
Happy Memorial Day to you too and may we never forget!

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Welcome Duncan.

Does the car have a trim tag on the firewall? If, so post a picture and we can try to help determine at least some of the details of how the car came off the assembly line (exterior color, interior). And more if it is a 67 versus 68.

And a build thread is a great idea. If you decide to do that, post the link for that new thread in this thread so it is easier to find.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Welcome. If the vin is on a plate in the front drivers side door jam, its a 67. If its on the upper dash then its a 68. Have a great weekend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx, folks. I will probably do a built forum as every aspect of this "car" will need to be addressed; not sure how to put a link in this "thread". I am sure I'll figure it out. The car is a 67, but I plan on 68 doors.

No chance of a resto.....there is too much work and this thing has been butchered way too much.....496 and a 4L80E and drive the wheels off it.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
The car is a 67, but I plan on 68 doors.
Welcome aboard Duncan! The hinges are very different between 67 and 68, changing to 68 doors is not an easy conversion. But plenty of time to research the details, in the meantime, enjoy the site and ask as many questions as you can :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Thanx, folks. I will probably do a built forum as every aspect of this "car" will need to be addressed; not sure how to put a link in this "thread". I am sure I'll figure it out. The car is a 67, but I plan on 68 doors.

No chance of a resto.....there is too much work and this thing has been butchered way too much.....496 and a 4L80E and drive the wheels off it.
YAY another big block!! You might want those wing windows with the amount of heat that comes out from under the car with that 496, at least I am grateful for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Post a link to the "build thread" in this thread? .....still working on that one folks...

Besides, I am not sure my build would be interesting to most of your readership. This is strictly/mostly what I would have done it back in 1979 or 80 if I had a welder (or $, or anything, whatever ever, concrete floor)...a tribute car for "back in the day".

I plan to box/weld in the lower control arms..14 gauge steel from bushings to ball joint. Cut subframe and weld in new steel to use factory trans crossmember (4L80E)....and other items...

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
Welcome, Duncan and quite the project we would all like to see/read.
As for the link, copy the address and insert the addy between [u-r-l]address[/url] only
DO NOT include the spaces between the url letters.
Images are the same except use img vice url

1 - 14 of 14 Posts