Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished installing my new kick panels from The Shop LLC for my 6.5 inch speakers. They didn't come with any instructions so I thought I'd share a couple things I learned installing them.

I installed a 1/4" rubber door seal around the housing that screws into the body. The door seal is to keep unwanted outside air from entering the cabin through small gaps. I read in an older post on a different Camaro site The Shop recommends black silicone caulking. I want to have the ability to remove these in the future so I used the rubber door strip.
I then installed the speakers into the housing. The reason for installing the speaker into the housing now is because there is no way to access the upper hole once the housing is installed into the body. The housing comes with 5 screws to install it.With a car that is already assembled it is impossible to install the top screw. The AC and glove box are in the way so only 4 screws got installed into the housing.
I also learned that you want to pull that housing as close to the door side as possible when installing. The finish cover won't fit over the back side unless you do.
Next was installing the finished cover. Remove pillar moulding and floor moulding. Remove the speaker grill cloth. Slide the finished piece into place. Replace pillar and floor mouldings. This is where I was only able to get 2 of the 3 screws into this piece because with a car that is finished there is no way to access the top screw. The AC is in the way again and there's no way I was going to remove the Vintage Air unit.
Next install the grill with the double sided tape supplied and your done!
Would've been nice if they'd supplied some sort of guidance for install.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice write up. How do they sound?
Since I replaced some Memphis audio 4 inch speakers with a nice high end pair of 6.5 inch Focal speakers I'm quite pleased. Much fuller sound coming from a 6.5 than a 4 inch no matter the brand so long as quality is equal.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,612 Posts
Dave, which model Focal speakers did you end up going with? I have mine (all of the panels, front/rear) and will start installing the stuff in a couple of weeks. What rear, sub and amp are you planning on using? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave, which model Focal speakers did you end up going with? I have mine (all of the panels, front/rear) and will start installing the stuff in a couple of weeks. What rear, sub and amp are you planning on using? Any info would be appreciated.
I am using the PC 165 up front and PC 710 in the rear. JL Audio 10w6 for sub and I have 3 amps. 2 HK's and one Zapco. The HK will run front and rear and the Zapco the sub. I have a Blaupunkt head unit with an Alpine graphic eq. I am slowly updating my old system as I have time. So far I have only installed the kick panel speakers. The rest is what I installed 8 years ago. I'm hoping next weekend I get more progress done. These jobs are time consuming but fun.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,612 Posts
Dave, where did you mount the tweeter in the front? Any pics would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave, where did you mount the tweeter in the front? Any pics would be appreciated. Thanks!
The speakers are coaxial. I didn't use component speakers intentionally because I wanted my system to be hidden. I made a custom rear panel that I covered with speaker grill cloth that hides everything in the rear deck. The stereo is for my entertainment only. :grin2: I attached a pic of the rear deck and one of the trunk where I hid the woofer, 6X9's and amp. Sorry for the crappy pics. I can try to take better ones if you'd like when it's light out later today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm assuming you car is complete and you're installing the kick panels now? If so, the driver's side took quite a bit of finesse to get installed. I didn't take any pics of the installation process but on that side I did end up mounting the speaker inside the housing they supply instead of on the outside to give me more room to clear the emergency brake. I just had to remove the front bolt from the dash and slide the E brake to the right and slip the kick panel in place. It took a lot of finessing but I finally got it to fit.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,612 Posts
Yeah, my car is complete and I am gathering parts (speakers and Amp) for the install. I am on the fence on whether to use components or coaxial in the front. I opted for the 6 1/2" speakers in the back. I bought their entire kit including the kick panels, rear shelf and sub box.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did you mange to get the kickpanel to clear the emergency brake bracket?
From what I remember the drivers' side was a pita. The E brake had to be removed and I slid it out of the way to get the kick panel in. That side took quite a while to get in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts