Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here we can hopefully have a full conversation about "Truck" heads and "Truck" engines.

I was asked what heads I have on my 496. I need to update my profile....

I currently own four engines for the two Vehicles that they might occupy. This does not include the 350 in the Truck at the moment.
LS3 480HP crate motor
496 L88 Appearing with mildly modified 077 winters heads
565 (4.600X4.25) Bowtie block, 6.535" rods, Brodix BB-3 Xtra 327 heads, Dart intake with 2000cfm Fuel injection.
565 (4.600X4.25) Big M tall deck 6.7" rods, Brodix BB-2 plus 2.3' valves modified by Straub technologies. fuel injected tunnel ram with dual 90mm throttle bodies.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Are we talking about the ever popular 454ci, 989 casting Hi Perf Pass block and the 781 heads?

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL, I didn't want to interfere any more than was already done to a productive thread about what someone should do. I personally think it will be a pretty good combination, especially if he gets a little help with the cam choice.

so, I used the 077 heads on my 496 build only to produce stock appearing. If I wanted to make more power I would put a set of modified 781 heads on it or some aftermarket heads. I look forward to Chris or some of the more knowledgeable people to set me strait. my assumptions were that the motor with porting and set up correctly had the capacity of 645HP max. I have seen most 496 engine combos make close to or over 700.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
My truck engine is undergoing a rebuild this winter. I'm already running the Hyd roller cam package, morel lifters and harland sharp rockers
Adv. 288/300
.050" 229/241
LIft 600/570 with 1.7
109 Lobe Sep
and updating with .030 21cc dome pistons and Brodix BB-RR-O 2061006 oval port 270, 110cc heads. Not stroking, leaving it a 4.0 stroke

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the idea for the stock appearing Camaro with an L88 went away when I started looking at all of the things I would have to go backwards on. My dash is all electronic and does not fit the bill. The brakes are too large to fit under 17 inch wheels, the ford 9" is out of place. Just too may changes to a car I want to just drive. I took the car apart originally to set it up for my wife to use also. That is how I ended up with the LS3 480. After some soul searching and a few comments like "I am never going to drive that car without you" I decided to go back to selfish thinking and big blocks. I built the 496 to fit the plan at the time. After having the heads completed for the 565 Turbo ( the real Truck engine), I dropped everything off at my Machine shop (Holbrook Racing- shameless plug- Chris is a great guy!) he talked some sense into me about the components that I was going to use for a 1650hp turbo build. At that time the old 565 was back on for the Camaro.

real truck pistons look like diesel pistons:

Adhesive Gas Rectangle Auto part Electric blue

• Love
Reactions: Just 1 More

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My truck engine is undergoing a rebuild this winter. I'm already running the Hyd roller cam package, morel lifters and harland sharp rockers
Adv. 288/300
.050" 229/241
LIft 600/570 with 1.7
109 Lobe Sep
and updating with .030 21cc dome pistons and Brodix BB-RR-O 2061006 oval port 270, 110cc heads. Not stoking, leaving it a 4.0 stroke
that should be a lot of fun to drive! what transmission are you running?

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds great! Overdrive is wonderful!

Ok, lets talk about the 565 Camarotruck motor. with the longer 6.535 rods the bob weight is 2185. A number of factors influence how a motor fast a motor RPMs. Stroke is one of them. We will ignore the 427 for a moment. A 396 has a shorter stroke and smaller piston which will by default be easier to spin. Now factor in the larger pistons for a bigger bore. You trade off some mass for more displacement and better breathing on the cylinder head by means of unshrowding the valves. Now with parts available we can go lighter pistons and longer rods that all but nullify any advantages the smaller engine had, and the extra power produced from the larger displacement will be applied to the mass spinning it up even faster than the 50+ year old design.
my friends brother had a titanium rodded Z06 a few years back and was astounded at how fast a 565 truck motor could rev. He compared it favorably to the Z06.

Reactions: Just 1 More

·
Registered
21 Posts
HP is a calculation. An estimate on how much an engine can make is based on what the heads flow. So if a head flow 330 cfm at .600 lift then 330 x .2575 x No. of cylinders = HP at 100% VE which is very possible on pump gas. Most of the stuff I do is around 105 VE.

Velocity is king. Any BBC head will feed any given CID engine to a given max piston speed (Demand). For as street engine you have to be realistic about the engine and what rpm it will be for most of its life. Each person is different. What makes one guy happy may not make the next guy happy.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hopefully I can lure Chris Straub over here....
Chris, could you spec out a solid roller street cam for the 565 CamaroTruck motor? along the same lines as the Turbo cam you did for me. Easy on parts/lobes for lots of miles, and limit duration/overlap for low RPM manners with fuel injection.

4.600X4.25 bore Wiseco 15cc pop ups 10.64:1 compression
6.535 rods.
Brodix BB-3 xtra 327cc heads unmodified.
2.0/2.125/2.25 step headers (please recommend length)
easy 7000 RPM upper limit, but important 1800-2000 lower highway cruse RPM.

you can yell at me about the ports being to big for what I am trying to accomplish, I had a case of already having most of the parts to fit these heads and grand ideas of power.
Take into consideration that in all of the years owning this engine every time I have decreased the power at the bottom end and added at the top the car got faster in both areas.Many people talk about 500 HP being the max you can use on the street are pretty accurate, but an engine that acts like 500 HP at launch and turns into 700 HP down the line seems dead on.

Joe from Michigan

·
Registered
21 Posts
hopefully I can lure Chris Straub over here....
Chris, could you spec out a solid roller street cam for the 565 CamaroTruck motor? along the same lines as the Turbo cam you did for me. Easy on parts/lobes for lots of miles, and limit duration/overlap for low RPM manners with fuel injection.

4.600X4.25 bore Wiseco 15cc pop ups 10.64:1 compression
6.535 rods.
Brodix BB-3 xtra 327cc heads unmodified.
2.0/2.125/2.25 step headers (please recommend length)
easy 7000 RPM upper limit, but important 1800-2000 lower highway cruse RPM.

you can yell at me about the ports being to big for what I am trying to accomplish, I had a case of already having most of the parts to fit these heads and grand ideas of power.
Take into consideration that in all of the years owning this engine every time I have decreased the power at the bottom end and added at the top the car got faster in both areas.Many people talk about 500 HP being the max you can use on the street are pretty accurate, but an engine that acts like 500 HP at launch and turns into 700 HP down the line seems dead on.

Joe from Michigan
Just send me an email on what you need. I'm sure we can be of assistance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
396/350 upgraded to a hyd roller valvetrain. Stock heads, intake, carb, and manifolds....600/.570 229/241 109 LSA Dyno shop to customer best torque band he had seen for a 396 Rat on his dyno in 30 years....

Rectangle Slope Font Tree Parallel

·
Registered
506 Posts
Real question - does a Dart or other aftermarket block count as truck or car? I’m voting car here. Rectangular port heads also go in the car bucket, OE or aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Real question - does a Dart or other aftermarket block count as truck or car? I’m voting car here. Rectangular port heads also go in the car bucket, OE or aftermarket.
Lol. Good point. I vote that tall deck blocks are truck and short deck are car. Rectangle are truck and oval are car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry got that backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That truck motor sure makes some steam. Is that a 4.25" stroke? Can you share some cam specs?

·
Registered
21 Posts
That truck motor sure makes some steam. Is that a 4.25" stroke? Can you share some cam specs?
No that is a 4" stroke. 4.375 bore x 4 x 6.535. Truck puller so I can share cam specs. It does have 2 intake lobes to compensate for the different shapes of the intake runners on BBC heads.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts