Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rebuilt 350 was running fine, normal temperature. The key accidentally was left on and the Pertronix and coil fried. I replaced them with the dual point setup and a Pertronix coil, 1.5 ohm.

When I finally got the dwell set and the car running again, the thing overheats while idling after about ten minutes. I took the 195 degree thermostat out and replaced it with a 180 degree new one. It still overheated so I tested the thermostat in some hot water and it opens properly, but when I put it back on the car, it does not open. There is pressure in the upper radiator hose, its it pretty hard. I believe the thermostat is not opening.

What could cause this?

BTW, it runs fine when you remove the thermostat. Does not get hot at all.

New 4 row radiator, new radiator cap, new hoses, new water pump.

Timing is set at 12 degrees and dwell is at about 33 degrees for the dual point distributor (Mallory).

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
maybe an air bubble behind the stat...i always drill a 1/16 hole in the stat if it doesnt have a bleeder valve in it...but thats just me...

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I assume you have the t-stat installed correctly.They are directional..as you may already know.Install a high flow stat with a bypass hole to burp air during refills and can contend with high flow waterpumps.Cheapo stats open into the flow and have a tendancy to want to close back up as a result.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I drilled a 1/16 inch hole in the flange of the thermostat and reinstalled it. Runs about 185 - 195 when idling.

·
Retired
26,846 Posts
If all you did was change the dist then the stat and adding a hole in it only masked the change. The idle temp is directly effected by initial timing, how fast it comes on and possibly vacuum advance being on a ported or manifold source...

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
Thanks guys. I drilled a 1/16 inch hole in the flange of the thermostat and reinstalled it.
I have been doing this for yrs...a suggestion made in one of Smokey Yuniks early books

1 - 6 of 6 Posts