Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm having a slight heating problem with my 68 SS Camaro, 350. I think my problem is my thermostat, since I don't know what's in it and I would like to start there. I was just curious what everyone IS using for a thermostat? It's been getting hotter here lately and I hope it's something simple.

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a '69 Z28, and I've heard that they run better with a warmer thermostat. I had a 195 in it but changed it to a 180, and I think it runs just as good. With the hot summers that we have around here I thought the 180 would be better.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use a 180 and the car runs just a bit below 200 as well. I would think that once you reach the rated temp the stat whould stay open full time as my system does not have the capacity of keeping the car at 165 or 180 degrees anyways. So whether I ran a 165 or 180 or 195 it would still run between 190 and 200. Highway 190, stopped at light 200 (as I don't have a clutch fan). That could be why your car runs the same even though you lowered the rated temp. It's still running at the same overall tempature above the stat rating. I think the problem I would have with a 195 is that it would be opening and closing all the time. Using that logic, which could be faulty, it seems like the 180 is right for me. If I had a cooling system that could actually keep the car at 165 (which I don't think a lot of us do) then my story would probably be different. I would be interested in hearing from an expert.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I keep haveing problems with thermostats sticking shut and overheating so i just pulled mine and chucked it !! To date i have had no over heating problems and I run at about 185*

·
Registered
205 Posts
the green68 is right with a 180 degree thermo at 180 or anything over it will stay open,i beleive the highest rated thermo is best as long as it doesent cause overheating i dont think chucking would be wise on a street/daily driver because it would take for ever to warm up and may not run as eff. as it should

·
Registered
176 Posts
Go to Autozone and get their part # 330-180, it is a Robertshaw stat and should take care of your problem.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
If you have no fear, you're not going as fast as you could.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I'll give the #330-180 a try tonight. I hope it solves my heating problem but if not should I try a 160lbs thermostat? Or should I be looking more at my radiator / fan?

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
A lower temp thermostat will not cure an overheating problem. If you're OK while moving, then it's a fan/air movement problem and a move to a clutch fan is probably the cure. If it overheats while driving, you have a capacity problem in which case you're looking at a radiator and maybe water pump. I have Griffin radiator with a Spal electric fan and aluminum Stewart high flow water pump which works very well. Of course, you're talking an $850 cure. Keep us posted and start with the simple stuff.

·
Registered
448 Posts
On the topic of robertshaw stats, I've heard mention of a hi flow stat by Robertshaw. Is it the same as the330-180?

------------------
Black 69 camaro

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think/hope RickD is onto something. I replaced the 307 in a '70 with a mild 355 and left the 307's radiator and shroud. I installed a GM 7 blade fan and a clutch. The temp guage will move up just into the red and hold weather I'm moving or not. It hasn't overflowed but it's running too hot for my taste. You think I should go with a 26" four row?

John

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
A thermostat, assuming it's operating properly, has virtually nothing to do with overheating - it just provides faster warmup and regulates coolant flow. The Robertshaw 330-180 is a good high-flow thermostat - I've used them for years. The temperature rating of a thermostat is the temperature at which it BEGINS to open - it isn't fully open until 15-20 degrees above that. Cooling capacity is determined solely by the radiator at highway speed, and by the radiator, fan, and shroud working together as a system in low-speed traffic. If you have a cooling problem, a lower-rated thermostat won't do anything for it.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I couldn't get the Robertshaw 330-180, they are out of it and I was too impatient to wait, so I got the #400-180. Should I have any concerns? I'm going to put it in either tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know if my problem is solved.

I agree with the fact that a thermostat doesn't "cool" the water down faster or anything. However if it is malfunctioning it could raise the temperature, right?. I've see it happen before. If the problem persist, I will leave the 180 in there and look more at changing the radiator. I think a nice 4 or 3 row would be plenty capacity for me
Let me know if I'm wrong here though. Thanks!

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the #400-180 thermostat didn't solve the issue, but I'm glad I started there. It had a 160 in it and it was completely froze shut. I was sure that it was my problem, but after 30 minutes she began to overheat again. Well, the next logical step would be a radiator. The question is though, would a 4 row be better than a 3 row? Is there such a thing as getting to big of a raditor (Like over carbing)? Currently it has a small (Can't tell what it is) radiator with an electric fan and an electric thermostat to kick it on. I like the idea of an eletric fan but maybe I'll replace it and get a bigger electric fan also. Any ideas guys?

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Do you have the original fan, clutch, and shroud? That's the best combination (assuming the clutch works). Bigger is always better when it comes to radiators (unlike carburetors) - you can't over-cool it; the thermostat will regulate flow to maintain rated temperature, and a bigger radiator than you need just gives you reserve cooling capacity - an extra "margin", if you will.

Get a 3-row or better radiator, stock fan, clutch, and shroud. That combination is better than all the add-on electric stuff, as none of the add-on stuff is properly shrouded, and some of the multiple electric fan setups actually restrict airflow at highway speeds.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 18 of 18 Posts