Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
took the Camaro and the neighbor out for a test drive today. didn't get but 2 miles from the house and the car stalled and wouldn't start again. The car has a few hours run time and 86 miles since the exhaust install. my dad brought a test light so we started poking around on the coil.

i have voltage at the fuse box from the coil fuse, but nothing on the + side of the coil. Im thinking the 6al box took a crap because the unused white wire went to ground and messed up the box.

im running a pro billet dist and blaster 2 coil.

everything worked fine before. the car is rewired with a painless harness, i ran the pink coil + wire to the red wire on the box, orange wire to + on coil, small black to - on coil, heavy red to battery +, heavy black to - battery, and i have the green and violet wire hooked to the dist. i left the white wire dangling....

think i should buy a new box?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i just check for spark per msd's instructions. i made a jumper wire for the box and detached the coil wire. no spark. im pretty sure the white wire went to ground and burned up the box.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The white wire is an input to the msd, not an output. For a points distributor it regularly gets set to ground. I really doubt that having white to ground could break it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
somtimes the MSD's burn up, my 6AL did as yours just crusing along easy, stalled then wouldn't even fire. I put a cheapo coil on the car to eliminate that which didn't help then noticed that the MSD box smelled real bad (that burned up electrical smell) MSD will reman the box for you for less than a new one, but I'm impatient and bought a new one and now have the orig for a spare..........crazy that a big name box like MSD would burn up but it happens.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is crazy. i also hear they burn up if you weld on your car when its hooked up. i actually had to make a quick stop (locked em up so i didnt miss a stop sign) after the car stalled (4 speed) it took a while for it to start. no more then two blocks later the car was totally dead and stalled out again.

had to AAA it no more then 2 miles from the house.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
It's not just MSD that fries if you weld :) How do I know these things.

I keep a cheap HEI from autozone, etc around to get me home. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
It's not just MSD that fries if you weld :) How do I know these things.

I keep a cheap HEI from autozone, etc around to get me home. Good luck.
I do the same thing....I even kept the HEI terminal ends in tact so I can easily switch back on the side of the road.

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
In case no one mentioned, the white wire is a crank trigger wire and can also be used as a hidden anti theft device if not using crank trigger. When its grounded, all it does is kill msd box until its un grounded. No damage there. Other than that, check to see if you have power from the batter to the box on large red wire. Small red wire is the "relay side" to close the large red wire and supply power. Make sure the large black is grounded. From there all should run, unless you got msd box wet inside, say good bye. Msd site has a simple test to see if its grounded inside. See the site for this.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I run a Mallory VI with the Breakerless Magnetic Trigger and Mechanical Advance distributer. Car is a 70 Z28 with a BBC. Anyway, I replaced the GM Coil resister wire with a Solid Core wire in order to feed 12 volts for an Electronic Ignition. I also installed a 700ohm resister on the firewall just to be there in case I had problems with the electron Ignition and had to to hook up the stock points system. I've run into a number of problems with the electronic ignition and just about all the problems are related to the ground circuits. In the first case I had no spark but the main electronic box coded OK. The Box was grounded to the fender well and the distributer was grounded to the Aluminum intake. A ground strap ran from the battery to the block and then to the fender brace bolt. I thought the trigger was burnt so I replaced and had spark for about 2 hours. I read that grounding the trigger to the aluminum intake was not good practice so I hooked up a solid ground to the back of the Psgr Cylinder head. I got spark back. Later I stored the car taking out the battery. When I attempted to start the car after putting in the battery, I had no spark. It was then I realized that I had not tightened the cross brace bolt on the fender to make a solid ground as I had to remove the brace in order to install the battery. Seems to me I'm running the stock GM point Distributer most the time - lol

·
Registered
658 Posts
The main thing to remeber with electronics is to never let the smoke out , because you will never be able to get the smoke back in.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I FIXED IT! i found a bad splice under the dash. i have my box inside the car above the ash tray, I ran the heavy black and red wires behind the glove box and out a hole i drilled, then exiting where the blower motor would be, then behind the fender to the battery. I had to extend the wires from the box to the battery. The red wire was barely hanging on. quick re-splice fixed it.

i think when i did my quick stop my battery shifted and the splice broke. i guess i should get around to securing the battery.

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Good find, I would think about installing some type of breaker to keep that large red wire from being cut against any sharp metal edges.. I think thats a 10ga wire, could start a fire. Maybe a hi amp fuse in line at the battery.

·
Super Moderator
32,785 Posts
I FIXED IT! i found a bad splice under the dash. The red wire was barely hanging on. quick re-splice fixed it.

i think when i did my quick stop my battery shifted and the splice broke. i guess i should get around to securing the battery.
The wires should be soldered together and shrink wrapped for protection. There should also be a grommet in the firewall for protection of the wire insulation from rubbing off and shorting to ground. plenty of smoke will happen.

Battery should always be bolted down.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i do have rubber grommets that the wires pass through. the crimp connection that was wrapped in tape was to large to pass through the grommet, thats what caused the bad connection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts