Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was scrambling to remove the entire right side front suspension on the 69 after work tonight because the powder coating guy is expecting them tomorrow(long story).Anyway I get everything off but the lower control arm.I wrestle the nuts off the bolts,remove the rear bolt.The front bolt is a little tight so I run a drift into the hole from the front and give it a rap.The bolt pops out and goes-where? You know it-right into the hole for the rear bolt and into the "Subframe Abyss". This could only happen to me.

·
Registered
993 Posts
sorry, man! that sucks. someone else on this forum lost the rear lca nut in there and if i remember right, he said it took 2 hours and magnet on a stick. i'm not sure how he got it in there. good luck!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a magnet on a flex shaft, ive been able to fish out a few things from the abyss with it. Got it at a harbor freight, i think it was 4.00 worth its weight in gold.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
same thing happened to me this weekend while replacing the motor mount, after about 4 minutes i was able to get it with a magnet (always happens to me too, except normally i dont win in the end)

jason

·
Registered
652 Posts
sorry, man! that sucks. someone else on this forum lost the rear lca nut in there and if i remember right, he said it took 2 hours and magnet on a stick. i'm not sure how he got it in there. good luck!
Yep, that was me :yes: .
First I tried a piece of bailing wire with a loop to fish it out, after an hour of that and getting everything greasy as hell I decided to buy a magnet.
I bought two different kind, the one that worked was telescopic and very small.
And that go's to show you that these cars will not let you hurry anything along.

Good luck,

Rich

·
Registered
340 Posts
Its the longest 2 seconds in the world; when you drop something, hear it rattle around on its way down, and you never hear the "clinky clinky" of it falling on the cement below. you wait and wait, but never hear anything. SUCKS!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know what you're talking about! I dropped a bolt down the hole where the wiper transmission rods are. It went off to the side and way down somewhere behind the fire wall. Sounded like it went down to where the rocker panel joins the firewall area. Is there anyway to get it out??? It's on the drivers side.

·
15,374 Posts
Yes, but you're not going to want to hear this..... remove the drivers side kick panel on the inside. You might be able to get it from there.

Either that or get one of those $1 telescoping magnets in the checkout isle at the auto parts store, tie a string to the end of it and fish it down the side of the cowl.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
The only other way to get the bolt out is to turn the car upside down and shake it! ;) I agree with using a magnet on a string and go fishing. Don't be surprised if you find a socket or two in there. They get dropped in the frame after working on the LCA's all the time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I once lost a carb stud nut down an intake manifold on a brand new motor.
Of coarse it was stainless (non magnetic). We used a shop vac with a piece of garden hose duct taped to the end, that really worked great!!!
Try a cattle magnet, you can buy them from a feed store, or a large animal vet. Those are the magnets to use!! they are very strong

·
Registered
309 Posts
Had the new motor on a dolly last month and wanted to see the intake and carb on it. So I placed them on the heads and that night my new polished Distributor hold down came in so I said what the hell I screwed in the stud and went to pop on the washer...:sad: :sad: I missed the stud and down the hole into went #1 CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK TINNING down to the oil pan F%#@ I said so I go to put the nut on so not to loose in it and guess what happen refer to #1 . So I didn't sweat it figure that bigass hole the oil comes out would be big enough NOT had to pull the New pan of and wasted $35 on a new gasket. Now I have the hole more secure then a nuns panties :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts