Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving my Camaro then shutting it down for a while, it won't start. Doesn't turn over. No click of the solenoid. I've replaced the starter and installed a heat shield on it, no help. Not a weak battery...jumping doesn't work. It seems to be heat related. I don't remember it doing it during the winter. It was doing it last fall while it was still warm. After about an hour of sitting it will start again.

Of course it never seems to do it after I get home where I could better diagnose it.

Any ideas of things to test?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
When you replaced the starter did you also replace the solenoid on top of the starter? This sounds like classic "heat soak".

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
that or a bad solder joint...in the starter harness..check thru wall connector as well.
hhave someone turn the key and check voltage on blue wire{purple} see what you have there and then work backwards...

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
X2 on the heat soak. May be time to either go to a mini starter or move the solenoid up to the inner fender and be done with it.
x2...or x3...whatever...

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
This is why I won't bye anything but a mini starter. :)

·
Gold Lifetime Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heat soaked...maybe, that was my first thought and why I put a heat shield on with the new starter (and new solenoid).

I just checked the voltage at the starter. The battery cable has 12 volts, but the switch and coil wires only have about 7-8 volts. What is in common between those two wires that would be giving me a voltage drop?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just checked the voltage at the starter. The battery cable has 12 volts, but the switch and coil wires only have about 7-8 volts. What is in common between those two wires that would be giving me a voltage drop?
Sorry about the bump. Just wanted to bring this info back to the top.

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
I had a similar problem to what you desribed on an old 4Runner. My (-) battery cable wasn't making good ground connection on the block. Drove me nuts for a while. FWIW.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found the source of the low voltage. It appears to be a short in the coil. I disconnected the wires from the + side of the coil and the voltage jumped to 12. I'm hoping as the coil got hotter the voltage was getting lower to the point it wouldn't activate the solenoid. I'll replace the coil today and see what happens.

I noticed the wire coming from the ignition switch to the coil is not in the best of shape. It seems to have a special wrapping/insulation. Is there something special about this type of wire, or can it be replaced with standard stranded wire?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I've done some reading and answered some of my questions, but given me others.

The "special" wire from the ign sw to the coil is a resistor wire. If I understand correctly, It should only have 7 volts at the coil and starter. So this isn't my problem. I'm still not sure if the wire at the starter that comes from the start position of ign sw should be at 7 volts?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Purple wire from ign sw start position to starter should be 12vdc as is the yellow wire from starter solenoid to coil when the ign sw is turned to the start position. Wire from ign sw run positon to resistor wire should have 12vdc, but only 7-8vdc when it leaves the resitor to the coil.
when the ign swith is turned to start position 12vdc goes to all the ignition parts, but soon as the engine starts and the ign sw is turned to run the the starter solenoid drops out thus opening its contacts and dropping the pwr to the yellow wire. As the yellow wire is connected to the + side of the coil along with the wire coming from the resistor, it will measure the 7-8vdc as well.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
This is an electrical problem, not a mechanical problem. I suggest you read some of the stickies in the electrical forum, especially basics, and learn how to measure the voltage drop across the wiring.
It's going to come down to a bad wire, or a defective component such as starter, solenoid, or switch. (my money is on a bad wire, resistance changes when hot and drops the voltage)
After a few checks, if you havn't found the problem, post in the electrical forum, the moderator there is very knowlegable and I have learned a thing or two from his posts!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts