Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not want to start anothe Orange/orange thing, so please do not go there. I have seen this car. It is a real X-55, Hugger Orange/Standard White SS vert.What I want to know is what you guy's think of it. It is totaly wrong. Wrong engine, 10 bolt, wrong paint, wrong interior,Z stripes,sand blasted windows, a ground in seam at the rear quarter to rear valance(verts did not have this seam,it was leaded), dent,repo metal and more. Yet at a Palm Springs Exotic Classic auction it was bid all the way up to $22.500!!!! The owners reserve was not met!!! I heard it was at $25000.00!!! Why Why Why???
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=598896344

·
Registered
725 Posts
I like one sentence of description and a huge paragraph for the terms of sale. To me this says it all.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1169124&a=8603468

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
What a car gets bid up to has no meaning if you don't know who's really bidding on it. That's why you can't use Ebay as a reference in trying to determine what the market demand is for a specific car. But, buyers that don't do their homework and research can easily get taken by people that don't disclose all the information they know about the car. Personally, I don't think an SS350 vert is worth morth than 17K even with the original motor, trans, paint, etc. But that's my opinion and that's what I would be willing to pay for an original car. Non-original means the value goes down from there.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored

·
Registered
234 Posts
Amen, bidding, especially online bidding is no way to guage anything.

#1: Some of the bidders can be a shill for the seller.
#2: Some of the bidders can know the reserve on the car so they get a woody by bidding on the car, but they'll be very careful not to break the reserve. And if they're offered to buy the car later at the under reserve price they'll go "nahhh....."
#3: Some sellers are looking for an ego boost. Put your 83 toyota corolla up for auction with a minimum bid of $17500. Wow, you da man.... whoever bids on it is jerking your chain or is stoned.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last night I e-mailed the High Bidder, and not to my surprise he is located in Orange, Ca. Right next door to Costa Mesa,Ca where the car is being auctioned from. I checked his feedback(bidders) and he deals in European car parts, just like the seller. Hmmm...... I guess I look into this because I take pride in my e-bay auctions. Not to mention the truth and integrity that I practice. These kind of dealers make it hard for a guy like myself that is in it as a hobby and means to support my own 69 toy's. They provide doubt to many e-bay buyers that internet avenues are trust worthy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
PS: Since you seem to be in the biz:
I used to be, and to some degree still am. I established my credibility (I hope) by NOT using e-bay.

If I have a part - it costs $x.
I'll sell it for $x. No more, no less.

This establishes credibility IMO.
If I want to get jerked around, or jerk someone else around, "put it on ebay".

I put stuff up on ebay I don't mind giving away, or stuff I don't know how to market, like some apparently rare dining room table we got. (yes, I know everyone knows all about "rare" stuff).

This is all IMO.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya know Nasty, I think you are so right. The only think about e-bay that I thought was the greatest was the amount of exposure. The amount of viewers. But now I seem to agree that maybe there are to many "Know it alls" and your "Stuff is sh*t" that I might start to rely on great sites like this one that I probably get better quality of people from anyway.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have bought and sold quite abit on ebay....it all boils down to one thing: education. Know the value of what u are buying and where u can get the lowest price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts