Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the starter Butler sells. The one I have is no longer made. I just blew $220 because I scratched it good getting it around the headers to see if I could even make it work. I'm pretty sure I ruined the solenoid on the old one taking it apart to see if I could rebuild. Its not a design I have found parts for.

There is a mechanic a mile away. In a few weeks I'm going to ask him to figure it out.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be great if I had a Chevy motor. Really regret this car.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Does the Pontiac take a different starter than a BBC does? Isn't that a Powermaster starter? Starters is one thing I don't skimp on. I go Tilton Super . Easy to work on and always parts for these.
Don't give up yet .

·
14,082 Posts
I have a friend with 69 bird Protour with a Pontiac motor. He has spent a fortune on it and it is cool but will never match a Camaro in performance or value.

Seems to me you talked yourself into this deal and my personal opinion is to get out of it ASAP.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may be an idiot:

The starter is "clockable". There are two bolt I can back out and rotate it to any mounting position I choose/need

I WILL be if it works. I'll try again over the next few days. The bracket still looks too small.

I bought it because it was different, cheap(20k in drivetrain alone on a 25k priced car, with mostly "new" metal). And sorted out.

I have to take it to a trans shop to get all new seals on the speedometer gear housing. I simply can't get it off. No leverage/good angle with the exhaust in the way.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I may be an idiot:

The starter is "clockable". There are two bolt I can back out and rotate it to any mounting position I choose/need

I WILL be if it works. I'll try again over the next few days. The bracket still looks too small.

I bought it because it was different, cheap(20k in drivetrain alone on a 25k priced car, with mostly "new" metal). And sorted out.

I have to take it to a trans shop to get all new seals on the speedometer gear housing. I simply can't get it off. No leverage/good angle with the exhaust in the way.
The starter on the right is infinitely clockable. You can spin it all the way around or just a fraction of a degree. You should be able to get it to work. :beers:

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
I bought a mini from Classic Industries and took it back as it would drain my battery after cranking it for 4-5 seconds....double checked the battery and it was fine. Put my old starter back with a heat shield no problems so far....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts