Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an aftermarket 1/4 panel and it stinks! The entire area from the 1/2 window back needs to be redone. The lines are rounded, the trunk gutter is 1/4" low, and the area around the tail panel is rolled.

My question is this. If I buy a 90% panel (providing the tooling is better) from NPD can I use it to replace the areas I need? I don't have an extra 400.00 for a full 1/4 panel and we'd be cutting off the sail anyway. I am thinking about cutting the full 1/4 about 2" down from the top and using the new panel from the 1/4 window back and seem welding about 1" down from the top along the remaining rear. Does this make sense?

·
Registered
601 Posts
no aftermarket parts work right.doesnt matter if by goodmark or anybody else. the best are nos parts but they where 850 bux i went your way bought aftermarket and caught hell getting them to look good. goodmark and all others buy parts over seas from the same place all boxes are the same but name on box sometimes you buy goodmark and theres a sticker on box peel it off and its golden legend guess they ran out of goodmark boxes lol. i just bought doors and boy what garbage seeing yours are looking good how much for doors lmao.i seen in pics front right fender off on top must be aftermarket fender thats how mine goes also

·
Registered
65 Posts
good mark panels are excellent if installed by professionals. stop and think,if they were junk how long could they stay in business. stay cool,go slow and do it right the firs time.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I could afford NOS but since I can't, I have to make the best of it. Anyone want to take a shot at whether or not the repair I want to do is okay?
BTW the fenders are not bolted on, just sitting, and the doors are staying. I'll repair those.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I bought a repro 1/4 and an NOS. I will start with the Nos and then attempt the repro. I am not sure wether to cut up the repo 1/4 and use the existing door jam and trunk area.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Some NOS parts require massaging too. Not all fit perfect. But the fit is better than repro's.

·
Registered
827 Posts
i have installed lots of goodmark 1/4s, they seem to fit ok. can't install in 5 minutes but if you take your time they will fit. most problems are where the quarter meets the tail.

·
Registered
827 Posts
buy the way i never remove both sides at one time. this may be part of your problem. no structure left, causing shifting and such. looks scarry!

·
Registered
827 Posts
once again, it is hard to tell from my seat in frt of my computer. but i have had to deal with this before. customer brought in a 69 camaro that he had removed 1/4 panels from. i was able to fix it with all replacement goodmark type panels. his was worse, he had cut rockers and every thing. start by putting the doors back on exactlly as the were prior to removal. doors must be on to install new 1/4s correctly. this whole process is going to take many hours maybe days for an amatuer. install your rear panel with clamps, and start clamping and screwing parts together until you get a acceptable fit. it may be easier at this time to leave the outer wheelhouse out until you know the repair is possible. the aftermarket wheelhouse i believe causes more fit trouble than anything else. once you know it can be done take it all back apart and install the wheel house correctly. use alighnment holes, the should be close push it up as high as you can. if this all sound complicated you are correct. somethings are not ment to be done in ones garage, there are many unfinished projects sitting around that will never be finished either because of lack of knowledge or skill. do not let this be one of those projects. it may never be perfect but it will be yours and the learning experience will be enormous. by the way i would have installed all that for you for about $2500.00 how much is a professional job worth. let me know i will try to help you out

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think there is a pic in the album of the major problem area, around the RH tailight. We also discovered, after we got it on the car, that the line where the quarter drops down the side of the car from the trunk edge is not as sharp as the other panel. We got the LH side on with almost no problem and everything lines up. What we are considering is taking the trunk gutter area from the back windshield and everything from behind the rear wheel back from a new 90% panel (tooling should be better) and replacing that part of this panel I got 2 years ago. I may not be explaining this properly. Am I making sense yet?

·
Registered
110 Posts
ALL new sheet metal sucks!!
I put two new front fenders on my 67 when I got it painted.Just figured that since I found a small amount of rust in one that I should get two new ones. I bought brand new GM sheet metal, and I'm not happy with them!! The hood has more of a bow to it than the fenders. Should have kept the original ones,but TOO LATE NOW!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My question is this. If I buy a 90% panel (providing the tooling is better) from NPD can I use it to replace the areas I need? I don't have an extra 400.00 for a full 1/4 panel and we'd be cutting off the sail anyway. I am thinking about cutting the full 1/4 about 2" down from the top and using the new panel from the 1/4 window back and seem welding about 1" down from the top along the remaining rear. Does this make sense?[/QUOTE]
We all know about repop sheetmetal. This got off on a tangent. Anyone want to take a shot at the plan to fix our problem?

·
Registered
280 Posts
We used Goodmark Quarters and the left had one was OK but the right was shocking.I think all the hype about tooling is just that, Hype.

If I had my time again. I've have used patches and kept as much of the original metal as possilbe. No matter how good the job is (and my guys done a brilliant job) it's never the same as an original panel from the factory. Even NOS stock is never perfect because the cars bend and stretch over time.

The other benift of patching only the effected area is the cost is heaps less and it's a lot easier for a DIY guy to attempt than installing a full quarter.

My 2c

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Anything is possible to do, but I personally think it is far easier to replace an entire quarter than to "patch". There are tons of different opinions on this...half the people on here will say a patch, or partial panel is fine, the other half (like myself) prefer the full quarter replacement procedure. If done correctly a patch is fine, but it is much easier and better (in my opinion) to replace these panels at the factory seams.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It might help if you can post some pictures showing what needs repairing.

Patches can be good if the rust is in the usual places. After all this is why they created patches, because all camaros tend to rust in the same places.

That said, patches are a waist of time if you need to use every patch they make, not to mention some of the parts that patches don't cover that a full quarter will. We used full quarters on mine because both the rear pillers around the back window and all around the trunk seal was rusted. The complete quarter panel was the only panel that covered all of this.

Is the car being totally stripped? If so I'd go the full Quarter route. If you are keeping the car together then patches might be easier.

Quarters aren't nessacerily better that patches or Visa Versa. My advice is to step back and look at the job and see which method suits your car best.

My 2c

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm one of those DIY women, and this patching doesn't sound too tough. Is our plan doable?
I've just seen the pics of your car.

Both your quarters are off the car so I think you only have one option. Put the quarters you have on the car and make them fit. If you aren't up to the job then pay someone. The quarters are the main panels on the car and if you don't get them right the car will never look good.

·
Registered
827 Posts
since you are thinking of replacing the panel. i would cut the right rear corner bend if i am looking at this correctly it look like it has loo much bend.
cut it in the corner and bend it up to match truck and tail, it's worth a try don't you think?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here is my 67 rs when I purchase it, Last week be for taking it to the strippers.

I had the car put on a frame rack before starting to install new sheet metal.
The rigth rear sub-frame was push in about an inch.
Pat

1 - 20 of 30 Posts