Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have (4) 15x7 steel wheels with a 4.25" back space. Want to run the same size tire all around. I'm leaning towards 215/70R15 tires. The car is a 68 Camaro with a SBC, no AC, rebuilt suspension with new, replacement Moog Z/28 springs in the front and 5 leaf rear springs.

Want nice, all around drivability. I ran this tire size on my old Chevelle convertible and liked how they rode. Not sure how they would look/fit on a Camaro.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Personally I'd want to fill out the wells a little more with a 235/60R15. I know those tires with those wheels fit a '69 really well but don't know about a '68. Don't see why not.

This pic is going to turn 21 this year. 235/60R15 on 4.25" backspace FW rally wheels.

Same 235/60R15 tire but on a 4" backspace wheel (rubbed front fender bolts on hard fast turns).

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
No problems in the front. You can go one size bigger out back if you want to stagger.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have 215/70/15's on the front and 235/70/15's on the rear and love em. As another option, you could go with 215/65/15's all the way around. A little less diameter but a tiny bit more beef on the road.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have 15 x 7,4 inch backspacing, 215-65-15 front, 235-60-15 rear. Has the staggered look and both tires have almost identical. Tires have virtually identical diameters which is what i was after.

·
Retired
26,644 Posts
Steiner - keep in mind he has a '68 with round wheel well openings so the taller 70 series is going to help him fill out the wheel well. What he's thinking about is a 27" tall tire, your recommendation is 26" tall.

It would be nice to have a tire wider than a 215 on his '68. A 235/70 would be 28" tall and a 225/70 is about 27 1/2" tall... I think he might run into some rubbing issues with the taller and wider tires though.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Steiner - keep in mind he has a '68 with round wheel well openings so the taller 70 series is going to help him fill out the wheel well. What he's thinking about is a 27" tall tire, your recommendation is 26" tall.

It would be nice to have a tire wider than a 215 on his '68. A 235/70 would be 28" tall and a 225/70 is about 27 1/2" tall... I think he might run into some rubbing issues with the taller and wider tires though.

Good point, didn't think about that.
235/65 is readily available here. 27" on the nose.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts

Good point, didn't think about that.
235/65 is readily available here. 27" on the nose.
I wouldn't sacrifice the better performance of a 60 series tire just for looks. If it were me and I wanted to fill out the wheel wells better, I go with the 60's and lower it a little. Remember, a tire that is a full inch taller will only add 1/2" to the top and 1/2" to the bottom.

No offense to anyone here, but a 70 series tire and performance (as the OP stated was his goal) should not be mentioned in the same sentence. Most modern trucks and SUV's don't even run that much sidewall.

·
Retired
26,644 Posts
No offense to anyone here, but a 70 series tire and performance (as the OP stated was his goal) should not be mentioned in the same sentence. Most modern trucks and SUV's don't even run that much sidewall.
Maybe you are replying to a different thread. The OP said nothing about looking for performance. Keep in mind a lot of guys here are trying to keep the stock look and a 70 series 215 would probably be really close to what came on these cars from the factory in tread width and sidewall. Probably best to take the 15" 60 series tire off the performance list too a 40 or 45 series tire on a 17" wheel will corner way better...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input and the photos. Just looking for a nice driver, a near stock look with a dog dish hub cap, and the same size tire all the way around. Based on the input, it looks like the 215/70R15 tires will work.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks for the input and the photos. Just looking for a nice driver, a near stock look with a dog dish hub cap, and the same size tire all the way around. Based on the input, it looks like the 215/70R15 tires will work.
I Love the dog dish look :beers:

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Maybe you are replying to a different thread. The OP said nothing about looking for performance. Keep in mind a lot of guys here are trying to keep the stock look and a 70 series 215 would probably be really close to what came on these cars from the factory in tread width and sidewall. Probably best to take the 15" 60 series tire off the performance list too a 40 or 45 series tire on a 17" wheel will corner way better...
Yeah, I guess I confused "driveability" for performance. If the goal is just to take it to a cruise and back, that's fine. I'm not out to turn every car into a PT car with big wheels and low profile tires...just offering up the fact that 60's series will handle a little better and still have an old school look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, we finally got the rear end swap done and got my son's car back on the road.

Iron-headed SBC, no PS and no AC, MOOG 6308 front springs, 5-leaf springs from D&R, 215/70/R15 tires on a 15x7 rim with 4 3/4" back space, 8.5" 3.42 posi rear end.

My son with his car at his first show.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts