Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two alternator wires came disconnected from the little plastic clip. There is a white one and a blue one - I believe the white one went towards the right side of the car and the blue one the left side. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
There are 2 different types of 3 wire alternators. Our firstgen's were built with external regulator type alternators. The small wires are next to eachother in the connector, like this || The blue wire goes closest to the engine, the white closest to the fender.

Newer GM cars had internal regulator alternators. Many of our firstgens were converted to this type over the years. The wires are end to end in the connector, like this -- Pretty sure the wires are the same color, don't know where they go for sure tho.

·
Super Moderator
32,797 Posts
I tried looking at your engine picture to determine the model of alternator as JimM described. Unfortunately, with all the chrome, my Foster-Grants could not cut down the glare to see. And I see you have a 69, so alternator is on the passenger side.

But still, in either case of external regulated or internal regulated, looking at the back of the alternator case, the blue wire goes to the right side terminal with the white wire to the left terminal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Blue wire goes in pass side also marked with a F for field on the case of alternator above wire connector. White wire driver side marked R for regular.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
need to clear up some confusion... we're all right of course, except I was least right becauase I referenced the position relative to the motor on a 68. 67-68's of course have the alternator on the left, 69's on the right.

Blue wire - terminal F right side of alternator when looking at the back.
White wire - terminal R left side of alternator

1 - 7 of 7 Posts